Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Help Please

Hi

I am starting to plan a topic based on the rainforest and the antartic for September with a Reception class.

Has anyone done such a topic or have any ideas for activities that I can do? Usefull websites would also be a help.

Thanks

Aimee

Hi Aimee these sites are quite good for topic work

www.bigeyedowl.co.uk

www.primaryresources.com

www.enchantedlearning.com

www.underfives.com

www.atozteacherstuff.com

Hope these help.

hi again,I just came across Ginn New Star Science for reception which covers these exact topics and should give you some ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aimee,

How about using story books as a start;

Walking in the Jungle (Lacome), Monkey Puzzle (Donaldson) would be good for the rainforest theme, and Cuddly Duddly (Alborough)and Penguin Small (Inkpen)would be useful for the antarctic section. These would give you loads of ideas for art, drama, language, small world play, and knowledge and understanding of the world areas of learning.

Scholastic do some great little books for emergent readers, and are sold in sets. Individual books that would suit your topic are "Monkeys" "Who lives in the rainforest?" and "Polar bears". The books have simple language for the children to read, an informative bit at the back for the teacher, and beautiful photographs.

Nursery Education, issue 51 (July 2002) was all about jungles, with posters, activity ideas, and lists of further suggestions and resources. You could email them and see if you can buy a back copy (earlyyears@scholastic.co.uk).

Finally, you could have lots of fun with ice experiments!

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...

You've probably long since finished these topics, but one of my minded children is doing the Jungle at her nursery, and I've done/am doing the following activities with her (she'd done Minibeasts last term):

Butterflies (used this to link between the topics) - we grew some caterpillars from Insectlore and made some symmetry butterfly paintings. Read the Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Spiders - made spiders from pipecleaners and black pompoms, spider nursery rhymes, books about spiders.

Monkeys - Made a monkey shaped door hanger, sticking wool to a card shape.

Tigers and Leopards - spots and stripes - we're making animal masks and cut-out templates to paint.

Elephants - made some elephant heads with paper plates and cardboard ears and trunk. Elmur and Barbar are good stories.

Snakes - Cut out spiral snakes which we've painted and hung up with string. Made another snake with painted toilet rolls joined together.

Parrots - Cut out bird with bright feathers stuck to it (paper and real ones from Baker Ross)

Jungle-themed books: Hug (Jez Alborough), Chimp and Zee (both books), and The Tiger who wouldn't go to bed. The Jungle Book (of course).

Finally, we're making a big Jungle picture on the wall, with some lift-the-flap leaves. Under each leaf is a picture of a jungle animal (all those above plus a tree frog and a crocodile) - we sorted them out from magazines and glued them onto the picture before sticking the leaf on top. The little ones love lift-the-flap books and I thought it'd be a good way of getting them involved in the fun, too.

Hunting around on the internet, I found one of our local schools had recently done a similar topic on rainforests. They're a junior school, but the links they have on their website are good for inspiration. Look under Links at www.waverley-abbey.surrey.sch.uk

• 6 years later...

This is a fab basic web page for info about rainforests and their layers, animals there etc.

http://www.srl.caltech.edu/personnel/kruba...w/whlayers.html

This is from http://www.topicbox.net/index.php - a brill site for just about everything and shows a range of different habitats to explore.

http://www.topicbox.net/browse.php?item_ID...20and%20Habitat

Amanda

Hi Aimee

i have just stumbled across a website full of songs called music for schools ltd.

There are some fab resourses obviously to buy covering a whole selection of areas, they have a free download page which plays samples of the songs.

Needless to say I have been downloading for 20 mins.

There is a musical called The puzzled penguin with a selection of about 5 songs which were quite nice, you could just learn them to sing and adapt/lengthen yourself. the address is

www.musicforschoolsltd.co.uk/index.php/Examples/Free-mp3-Downloads.html

HTH

You could always then do 'Have you ever had a penguin come to tea' a personal favourite of mine at the mo

Vicky

Have you seen the photos of igloos people have made for their role play areas out of plastic milk bottle things? Can't remember if they are on the gallery here or the gallery in Sparklebox or both - but they're really impressive!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)