Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What It Means To A School Nursery/reception

Hi .

I teach in a first school nursery/reception unit and am not having training for EYFS until February.Could any of you kind peopleout there summarise exactly what it is going to meaan to a maintained setting when the EYFS is introduced in September.I have got all the documents and CD and have been through them but clarification from someone who is in same situation would be great .Thank you x :o

Hi .

I teach in a first school nursery/reception unit and am not having training for EYFS until February.Could any of you kind peopleout there summarise exactly what it is going to meaan to a maintained setting when the EYFS is introduced in September.I have got all the documents and CD and have been through them but clarification from someone who is in same situation would be great .Thank you x :o

Hi

I work in a maintained nursery and we are not having any training until February. I did attend the 2 hour intro session and the only thing that was useful to know was that if you are due an ofsted in the coming year not to introduce the new eyfs. however, I and the reception teacher have started looking at it and have started to use some of the rresources from the CD. i expect we will begin to introduce it after February even though we are waiting for ofsted.

The main diferences are that you need to adhere to the daycare standards which are now incorporated into the EYFS. You need to look closely at the statutory guidance as there are lots of MUSTs which apply now to maintained schools that did not before. It really depends how good the Early years practice is in your setting. Some schools will have more to do than others. Also it means that if you have children operating below the stepping stones in your nursery class you have got the developmental matters for younger children and you can plan to meet the child's needs.

Sue

The main diferences are that you need to adhere to the daycare standards which are now incorporated into the EYFS. You need to look closely at the statutory guidance as there are lots of MUSTs which apply now to maintained schools that did not before. It really depends how good the Early years practice is in your setting. Some schools will have more to do than others. Also it means that if you have children operating below the stepping stones in your nursery class you have got the developmental matters for younger children and you can plan to meet the child's needs.

Sue

Thank you for your replies .We already use stepping stones to track the children and reference to the Birth to Three matters for my little ones if necessary .I think it is the statuatory changes in line with the day care standards that I need to look at carefully with my Headteacher .Thanks for clarifying for me x

I think the day care standards are going to give schools the biggest headaches as we just aren't equipped and staffed in the same way. For example a topic that keeps cropping up in posts is nappy changing/toilet training/soiling. I'm not sure how a reception teacher with a class of 30 children will cope with changing a child who has soiled when they may be the only adult in the class.

The requirements to tell Ofsted about everything that moves is applicable to registered settings - schools are not required to be registered so as far as I am aware won't be calling Ofsted everytime they have a change of teacher. Schools do not have to have separate policies - the school policies as long as they reflect the EYFS are fine. Having gone through it I think many "musts" would reasonably be covered already by whole school policies and practice or LA policies e.g. in relation to staffing recruitment etc,as schools are already governed by an awful lot of current legislation - just look at the number of DCSF circulars you get in a year about how you need to manage your school to meet it. There are a few things in there that might need consideration like having people with paediatric first aid qualifications or the kind of information you hold on children however the responsibility for ensuring that you are meeting these doesn't rest with the class teacher! Look at it with the HT against current school policies to identify any areas you need to consider.

I did read today that when the EYFS is re-published it will contain further support!!!

This may be of use http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandle...cationsandfaqs/

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)