Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! He's Eating Everything!

shazzam

we have a little boy, he's nearly three and eats everything!

when i say everything it's not toys, just things like playdough, blue tack (if he can take it off a poster without anyone seeing!) the children have free access to pritt sticks which he eats if noone looking!

these things cant taste good?

he did have a dummy when he first started he doesn't bring anymore but still has it for sleep wondered if there may be a connection, but mum says he does it at home too.

mums not worried, but our resourses are depleting rapidly!

has anyone had any experience or ideas which may reduce him wanting to eat them??

I'm, afreaid I can't help much. We had an autistic child that would eat everything, we just had to be extremely vigilant, it takes up a lot of time though. Hope someone comes along with better advise.

Sal

i'm sure its not PWS my son has PWS. i am really pleased you have mentioned it!

and i hope lots of people on the forum take a look at the sight you have linked to.

i would love to chat with any others who have children/family members with the syndrome it can feel you are quite alone sometimes.

thankyou :o

thanks, i'm sure it is just a developmental stage,just hope it ends soon so we dont have to keep saying no!!

given me an idea next week i think we will have a nice table of lots of things he can eat!

a tasting table!

it will be interesting to see if he's interested or sticks to the pritt stick! :oxD

I was going to suggest that Deb. In my last setting I had a child like that and he was rising 5. He would eat everything including pritt sticks. He did have a very restricted diet as he was a vegan.

Hi there,

I am a student in a placement, and in the setting i am in they also have a boy that is around 4.5 and eats everything, specially things he finds on the floor, when he has nothing left he sucks his clothes. The staff seems not to bother at all, so not sure if they don't care or they just think he will grow out of it. Very good about the PWS, never heard of this before, and i am sure many hasn't, so will show them and see what they say.

Sorry not a lot of help at the moment. let me know how you get along.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I used to be a support assistant for an Autistic child who would eat non food substances and I found this to be quite worrying especially when it was sand, beads, lego(he would spit these out) play dough, prit stick and many others. I found out about a condition called 'Pica', the name is dirived from the Latin for Magpie. You can find information on the kids health website on Pica, it does not give a solution to the problem but it may just help you to understand. Most children do grow out of this, of which we have all seen as they develop, but for the few who may not will need help and support from the health professionals.

Again this may not be the problem but it is something to be aware of.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)