Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Re In Foundation Stage

Help please xD

I teach Reception Class in a Church of England School. At a meeting tonight we were rejigging the RE Policy and I asked my RE co-ordinatory how exactly should I be teaching RE in the Foundation Stage. At the moment, I follow the Scheme of Work used by the RE co-ordinator but tend to concentrate more on the Bible stories. I usually manage to "fit this in" from about 2.45-3.10 p.m., the children do not, at the moment, complete any follow up work on the story.

The children in KS1 and KS2 have to spend a specific amount of time on RE every week, but my co-ordinator did not really have much idea of how I should be teaching it in Reception Class. She did say, however, that perhaps the children should be doing some sort of follow up work (worksheets!!!!!!) :o

Has anyone got any ideas or advice please.

Thanks.

Having taught in catholic schools I know this is a difficult one. However it all fits into K&U of world and PSE. AS for follow on activities these can be done through all the other areas of the curriculum, so it may be a literacy outcome such as "writing" the story, but it could be retelling it using props, acting it out, circle time, creative activities in response to something they have heard etc. It does not have to be a workshop - you can take photos for evidence etc to keep the RE corodinator happy.

Hope this helps,

Sue

We use the here i am scheme at our school. The children have an R.E book which we let them draw a picture in and we write what they tell us.

Last week we discussed Baptism so the children drew a picture of a baby ,they retold what happens in their own words and we write it in their books.

One little boy said "the baby was dirty so it had a wash" I thought this was cute as its his thinking.

I could just imagine all the babies lining up for a bath :o

Thanks very much,

Your suggestions are more along the line I was thinking. I am still finding it difficult to "fit everything in" though. For example, the other day we saw a beautiful Rainbow outside, I then followed this up with the story of Noah. Perhaps I should have abandoned my original planning and gone with the theme of Rainbows and allowed the children to paint Rainbows and then used this as some form of RE evidence!!

Thanks again.

We use the here i am scheme at our school. The children have an R.E book which we let them draw a picture in and we write what they tell us.

Last week we discussed Baptism so the children drew a picture of a baby ,they retold what happens in their own words and we write it in their books.

One little boy said "the baby was dirty so it had a wash" I thought this was cute as its his thinking.

I could just imagine all the babies lining up for a bath :o

Hello! So great to find someone that uses the Here I Am scheme - I teach in a Catholic school also and have been really naughty and not taught any RE yet...?! I don't know where to start! I'm catholic and find it hard getting my head around it all, never mind a 4-5 year old... what do you do please? Do the children have lots of questions?

Thanks, Natasha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)