Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Overweight Child

We have a boy age 4, who is now too big to use the tikes cars and large trikes.The child is now proud of the fact that he is too large to use wheely toys. He has a constant battle keeping his trousers on his waist. He is now coming in wearing a belt that is so tight that we are frightened of pinching him to loosen the belt so he is comfortable. I have tried to tell his mum that he needs trousers that he can manage them himself. She got cross with the child and told him off.

He is unable to run and climb easily. His weight is steadily increasing. Although he will be going to school next Easter I feel I must do something. Mum is a single parent and they live in a flat. He comes to pre-school for 5 sessions and although we have lots of opportunities for physical play he isn't interested.

Hi bubblejack,

i can sympathise with you.

I have a little girl who is overweight. She had a toilet accident the other day and I had no trousers that fitted her (she is 4 and wears 8-9yrs trousers). Luckily, I found the biggest pair I could and passed them off as cropped trousers with a long top. She was fine.

Dad is very big, her 3 brothers are big but mum is slightly overweight but I think mum really can't see that they are overweight but are just "big boned".

The child has a packed lunch and it is VERY healthy, she runs around outside without getting puffed out and she appears happy.

I have recently had a healthy eating week and obtained some resources from my local hospital. Leaflets, healthy eating postcards, posters etc etc etc. Each parent received one so I have made the parent in question aware.

The child understands healthy eating, exercises and is from a very loving family, so not sure what to do myself.

Net x

Hi bubblejack

If you have a good relationship with his mum could you mention he is having trouble running around. You could ask if there was anything she would like help with. On the other hand if you don't have a good relationship I would just keep providing the child with the opportunities you are at the moment. Maybe introduce a short topic about healthy eating and excercise.

Good luck

Lorraine

If you have permission to contact a Health visitor I would say this is more here department to go in and see the whole family and work in the home you both of you as groups supporting. Even if you don't have permission to speak to the health visitor then maybe contact the health visitor and without giving the name say you would like some help on how to explain the situation of bad eating and over eating to a local family. with out giving away the name the health visitor might be able to put 2 and 2 together and give some help. Maybe get them to give a talk to all the parents on healthy eating.

Don't forget it could be counted as neglect on letting that child getting so big. Good luck

Steph

Cant offer any more suggestions, over years have had more and more chidlren who are serioulsy over weight, not just big boned my any streach of the imagination, Children seen leaving nursery cluthing mars bar and crisps just after lunch etc.

Its a shame as only going to get less physical activity when older, I agree health vistor should be brought in to keep an eye, and check how heavy child is. It seems as if hes alrady decided that physical activity is hard work and not for him.

Do you remember not so long ago,child was taking into care becuase he was so big,and it was considered abuse?

Thanks for your response. I have already contacted the H.V. and she is going to find a reason to contact the parent.In our area Health Visitors do not see children over the age of 18 months unless parents request a visit or their is a baby/toddler in the family. A questionnaire is sent out when a child is 3, but unfortunately parents sometimes either don't return them or don't answer them truthfully. I seem to remember reading in the news that schools will have to weigh children in year 1 and year 6. This child seems to growing rapidly larger and if he continues to put on weight i am worried about his health. He is also realising that he unable to do the physical things so he now doesn't want to try. The last thing I want to do is upset his mum but I think next week I will plan a maths activity, comparing heights and weights of objects including children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)