Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Play

Hi,

I need some help for some of my co workers. I work in an overseas school, so things are quite different to the Uk. We have a class for children 2.5 years - 3.5 years, its a small room, 2 teachers with up to 24 children. We are trying to follow the foundation stage curriculum but do have some limitations. In this class we have 30mins freeplay as the children arrive, many of the children are non English speakers and it is totally manic. I am with the older children and find it hard to help with ideas for the little ones, basically the floor toys are good but there isn't enough space for all the children, they just end up throwing things around and don't have the space to explore if they are all their. There are 3 tables which we can't move as they need to use them at snack time but the activities on these tables are boring and i feel not appealing to the children. Any good ideas for children of this age?

What sorts of actvities do you have on the tables and the floor at the moment? And is there a way that you could change the arrangements for snack to give you more freedom with the tables - maybe by using an on-going snack bar system of something similar? Just a first thought to get some ideas rolling!! :o

Do you have access to an outdoor area? Is it adjacent to your indoors...could you offer freeflow indoor/outdoor?

Edited by Wolfie

Is it possible for you to let the children choose what goes out on one or more of the tables, this should make them more appealing to the children.

I agree using the outdoors if possible. I also find sensory activities help to calm and absorb childrens excitment. Could you put bowls of, spaghetti ( cooked), shaving foam, sand, water, malleables such as dough, clay, damp sawdust etc on the tables?

Junk modelling on a large scale can enable team work, all making a large dinosaur or robot or monster, using large boxes, smaller boxes, many other materials with lots of sticky tape, elastic bands etc.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)