Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Development

We have a little boy who has just turned three. His language is not well developed but his mathematical skills and drawing skills are amazing. He finds it difficult to stay focused at circle time unless the activity is number related or we are singing. Any ideas on how we can best support this little boy? I don't want to rush in and get outside help if it is merely a developmental delay issue. I recognise that all children deveop at different rates etc. Equally I don't want to deprive him of any early support.

Thank you, Rose

Well it is early days as he has only just turned 3 but I suggest you keep on with lots of good praise and sticker rewards when its time to sit down? Possibly use a timer of 1 inute then gradually increase if it works.

Have you tried anything yet?

Maybe using books which use numbers, but also have a specific language input, eg the "Down on the farm" type books, where the rhyming is great, you can really emphasise the spoken language between the mummy animal and her babies, etc. Another good book would be "Room on the broom" where you could use it for measuring activities at circle time. You could also use props (broom handle, toys to fit on it, etc) and get him to help you in any active way; that might focus his attention during circle times. :o

Like its been said just keep open eye, if hes just turned 3 thats still very young and not being able to sit still at cirle time is common!!!

Havign said that from what you said he seems very advanced intoher areas, so often means that might be slighly slower in other areas. Children who are very good at reading for example, may have lower physical or social skills. He is at very start of school career so I wolnt worry yet.

Using number props or number questions may help. Good luck

Hi Rose.

Ive been thinking lots about this and while I dont want to be alarmist in any way, as we all know children vary so much and this little chap is only 3, but I have known children who have particularly enhanced drawing skills to have ASD.

However, there is obviously lots more work to be done here, you say his language is not particularly well developed, so why not ? Do you have any other background info? His number skills and drawing are enhanced, in what way exactly?

Number skills are quite different to language and can be learned in a much more structured way. What has influenced this development rather than his spoken language?

Lots to look at and think about and obviously you will need outside help if he really has a problem but your gut feeling tells you that this little boy is different or you would not have asked the question.

I'm also going to move this out of the reception area!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)