Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rest Time For Children In Full Day Care

SueT

Hi all

Can anyone help - I've been looking through the standards, and may be it's that I can't see for looking, but is there anything about what rest time has to be provided for children of different ages. We currently open for a 3 hour sessions, and so don't have to have a rest area as our children are at least 2 1/2 years old but are looking at extending our hours so that children can attend for 6 hours a day, including a lunch time. Do we have to have a rest area for children staying for this length of time and at what age would this apply.

Thank you in advance for your replies

SueT

I'm pretty sure that there are no exact requirements for the amount of time provided for rest - it'll be more a case of identifying and meeting the individual rest requirements of the children in your care. Some children staying all day will keep going for the whole time they are with you, some will need a time to "flop" and some may actually need a quiet place where they can actually drop off to sleep if they need to. You will need to consider where that quiet place is going to be and provide a comfy environment, maybe with big cushions or something similar, but I'm fairly sure that nothing is set in stone as far as the national standards/EYFS documentation is concerned.

we are a pre-school and when we went on to fulldays the inspector who came out recommended we only offered the full days to our fs1 children (children in their last year with us)as we couldnt provid beds which would mean having a washing machine to wash bedding etc i was more then happy with that as i feel our little 2 year olds were to little to do all days in our sort of setting.

However as wolfie has suggested we go with the flow if some children seem to be sruggling with the busy afternoon session we have a quiet room off the main playroom for quieter activiites and a rest on the bean bags with a cuddly story usually works.

Ofsted were fine with our arrangements for the children who stay all day......we don't have beds but as long as we could recognise when a child was getting tired and needed a rest/quiet time we could offer this in the book corner which has cushions and large bean bags.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)