Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicken Casserole In A Slow Cooker

Hi all

I have boought a slow cooker today and would like to make a chicken casserole in it tommorrow. I have no clue what do to, as i have never used a slow cooker before please help

Simple, bung in all your raw ingredients and switch it on!!! Your instructions should tell you what temperature to put it on. Mine only has high or low.

I like to do steak and kidney in mine - Fab to then make into a pie.

Also very good for cooking a joint of beef or a ham.

Make lasagne in mine also. Pre-cook mince and then layer up as you would normally.

oooh, now you've got me going, I shall have to get mine out of the cupboard again!. :o

slow cookers are fab - my mum bought me one for xmas last year to use on a thursday for family when i was doing my FD

fav recipe bung in chicken fillets a can of cider salt pepper mushrooms leeks cook for 6 - 8 hours on slow then before serving add corriander and cream stir and serve ...yummy .... :o

Nothing beats using a slow cooker, I don't have one at the moment but I used to always use it on a Saturday, go out and play hockey, then when I came home (usually wet, cold and tired) i'd open the door and be greated by a wonderful smell. You can't beat them. My mom cooks joints in hers, I can vouch that they taste wonderful.

Enjoy your cassorole Lola.

Sal

I used Delia Smith's recipe - it might be on her website - which made 2 large puddings. I used a 1 litre pudding basincovered securely with buttered foil. The basin goes in the slow cooker & then you add boiling water to come about half way up, & cook on high for 12 hours. I was worried it might dry out but it didn't. By the second one I was confident enough to leave it on overnight & it was fine.

To reheat on the Big Day, do the same & cook on low about 6 hours, or high about 4 hours. My large one doesn't have a temperature variation, which is why I ended up with 2, but that's another story!

I guess you would vary the cooking times slightly if you were making smaller puds.

I recommend it if you make your own puddings, or wnat to try it!

Well Lola, did you have your casserole.

Was it good!!! :oxD

My casserole was delicious - and it was so nice to come home and have to do nothing but serve it up Thank you for your great recipes. I'm doing a joint of beef in it tomorrow yum yum!!!

My hubby has joined slimming world and been for his weigh-in tonight and he won the raffle!!!

All the ingredients to make a ...chicken casserole (slimming world style :o ) so I will be using the recipe myself!!

By the way he lost 71/2 lb this week xD

you cant beat your own pud! i never liked it as a child but when i married my hubby (I married into farming) my mothers-in law were delicious and she converted me.

We used to be making breadcrumbs for days then she used to do about 15 in a big tray on her aga and give them as pressies and always save one for easter! :o

Anyone else have a family recipe perhaps we could share?

Guest MaryEMac

I read this thread last night and decided that we would have beef casserole tonight, so this morning before breakfast I dusted off the slow cooker, threw in all the ingredients and turned it on. There was a lovely smell when I got home today. Thanks for reminding me about slow cookers.

Mary

I bought the largest with auto/low and high settings.Means I can do joints and stews/curries/casserole for a family of 4 ie 4 adult meals.It's the original Tower brand.I've had it for for a long time but the likes of Tesco's do their own version like there are cheaper copies of George Forman grills.

The only thing is the handle on the lid is plastic so if I put the main dish in the oven I have to put silver foil over the top if I want a lid.I often do a stew slowly all day then transfer to a oven for the higher temperature and drop dumplings in so they come out crusty.