Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

County Council Lease

:o

Can anyone help us? We are a committee run pre-school that has been lucky enough to have been asked by our local school to move into a classroom (I am thrilled).

We have had the Ofsted registration Certificate, funding for various items and then had a meeting with our County Council.

The school have broken down expenses to 1/17th of the cost of maintaining and they are happy with that as annual payment (they don't want to make a profit from us). This comes in at £3K

However, the County Council would like to add on a further payment to them. They have asked for £2500 rent plus £3000 ongoing costs.

We really can't afford this - we are a non profit making charity whose overall profit last year and the previous year was £500. Then we bought paint, etc and it went!

Does anyone have any advice, or if you are in the same situation, would you be willing to let me know how much you pay? How it's broken down, how did you barter? I know it's alot, but just hitting them with a few comparisons may help them back down!

Many thanks - by the way, this is my 1st day on the forum and I think it's great!

Abby

This seems excessive from the County Council. What costs do they have to cover, when the school have covered the running costs? Surely they should be supporting such ventures with extended schools etc. Ask them if there is any funding available from SureStart.

We are a committee run, registered charity, pre-school. Some 13 years ago we bought our own portacabin and installed it on the school site. Initially we did pay an annual lease for the land from the County Council but we have not done so for many, many years.

PS welcome to the site.

Edited by Deb

The only thing I can suggest is that you give them your income/expenditure figures, tell them you don't want to make a profit, nor do you want to run at a loss.

Has your LA asked you to do a financial audit for the NEG?, Let the school know that your main income is based on NEG grant which is allocated from the same council which wants to charge you unaffordable costs. :o

I think you will find that the people you are negotiating with tend to work with 'figures' and not 'unmeasurable 'good will'.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)