Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

does anyone know of a video suitable for using with staff of pre schools and Reception teachers, please ?

Hello Wincan and welcome to the site. Thanks for making your first post. Do you mean a training video, eg for the Foundation Stage? Or something else?

Can't help you with your query but just wanted to say hi. :) I see you've been a member some time :o - glad you've made your first post. We're all quite nice here you know!! :D:D (Even the furnitures not bad. xD:( )

Thank you for welcoming me and replying, I have been a mmber for a while and read quite regularly. Yes I did mean a training type video with good ideas to go with a cluster group session I am running - make it more entertaining apart from the bags of rubbish I will take with me ! By the way I am a reception teacher of many years and utterly convinced by outdoor time and learning.

On the Open University E123 course (part of the EY ceritficate/FD), the course video includes an "interesting" interlude of outdoor play - a hospital role-play situation. Nice "anecodotal" outdoor play stuff.

Diane.

Hi Wincan & welcome.

I've been trying to develop outdoor play in my school, seems to be the one area we really struggle with and I'm not sure why.

I know the theory and where i want to be/ or go but don't seem to get it off the ground somehow.

Would like to converse more on this one!

The FS profile training video had some clips of outdoor play, didn't it?

Can't remember the Curriculum Guidance training but should think there could be something?

Not sure of anything else. I've heard Helen Bilton speak on outdoor play but she had her own slides.

I was on an outdoor play course a couple of weeks ago. The speaker had an amazing video about a resaerch project that was carried out very recently with foundation stage children in a woodland area. It was fantastic, and a very inspiring video. Amongst other things it showed a child who made a huge woven fence out of twigs over a long period of time, this child was a bit of a loner but he soon became respected amongst his peers for his fence buliding skills. It was lovely to see his unique skills being valued and used by the other children. It also showed the children around a burning camp fire, adding twigs and stoking the fire !!

It's well worth a look if you can get your hands on a copy. I'm sorry to be so vague!!! Maybe your EYA would have a copy. :D

Hello Wincan

We used an inspiring video from www.featherstone.uk.com called 'The Foundation Stage in practice.' It has ideas for indoors and out particularly looking at planning and the role of the adult. It did spark some new ideas for us. I promise I'm not on commission for Featherstone Education 'cos last time I posted I suggested something of theirs but I think every early years bod should look at some of the things they produce...very inspiring !

Best wishes

Galleon

Hello again...I just noticed that the video costs £13.50 and VAT, so not too prcey either !

Best wishes

Galleon

Thanks very much for all the help, I think I'll go for the Featherstone one for the time being, I know their little books - they're good. I thought I might have to make my own, which I haven't got time for right now ! In answer to Susan - our school environment could not be less conducive to the 'outdoor environment' (large hard expanses of black tarmac and road surface ripe for developnment) but I use it all the time - always seem to have a group out with myself or an LSA doing chalking on the blackboard, scoring on whiteboards knocking down skittles and throwing bean bags etc. The children always seem to react positively to outdoors even though the tasks are much the same. we also have free play, role play, bikes, painting with water etc. If the weather we go under the victorian shelter which still remains ! The other thing which has been recommended is a New Xealand video but that might make us all very envious!

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Have you heard of Surestart? think they ve sent stuff out to schools. they have quite a good 20 min video which explains a lot. good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)