Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do I Do?

Hi all

Well I have started the FD with the OU, and am slowly working my way through the E123 Study Topics, Reader and TMA01, and because its 30 years since any last 'real' study, thought I would take my time and pick up E124 next October, when the E123 had finished.

BUT.... looking on the OU website the next E124 courses start Feb 08 and Feb09, and not Oct 08 as I had thought/hoped for - BIG DILEMMA??? I didn't really want to study 2 courses back to back, but now I'm beginning to get into the swing of reading/writing again, I don't want to have to wait til Feb2009 to start the E124 - HELP! ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!

Another query - my LEA are funding the E123 as part of the Foundation Degree, will they automatically continue to fund E124 or do I have to apply for funding for each seperate course?

hiya i wondered how you were getting on :o

When you applyed to the lEA did you ask them to fund your foundation degree or module?They are funding my foundation degree for this year so presume i have to ask again next year I spect they can only say what is in their budget.We are doing 2 modules together one is a work based profesional module which is ongoing all year as we work through other modules.

I applied for funding for both modules at the same time and will have to reapply for more when I'm ready to go on.

Lots of people are doing E123 & E124 at the same time but I choose to do E124 four months down the line in Feb 08. By that time i will have got used to the type of study and with two TMA's under my belt I should be ok to start the second module then - I will only be doing running the two modules back to back for 4 months.

I'm sure this would work for you too Hen Lady. You will have to check whether you have been funded for both modules and if not there is plenty of time to get it for the Feb 08 start. Waiting another year seems to be a waste of time.

Have you been finding it easy so far? There is a lot of reading I know and I'm just about to start on my first TMA. Don't know how that will go!!

Good luck in whatever you decide Hen.

:o

Thanks for the replies - have been in touch with my LEA and I do have to apply again, but they don't anticipate any problems with that.

Is the anyone else out there who has started E123 this Oct with the OU and is planning to start E124 this Feb? How are the tutorials arranged? Are there twice as many?

Considering giving it a go. It's just the amount of workload and additional time I am worried about. But I suppose as I work my way through the FD, I will have to increase my workload at some stage for the 60pt courses won't I?

Hi I'm doing both together but wish i'd waited til Feb for e124.

i'm hoping to finish tma1 e123 tomorrow ???? as I've not yet looked at e124..... tut tut.

Good luck to all who are doing it hopefully we can help each other

Denise xxx

I think it is well worth giving it a go :o

At the moment you are in the really early stages of E123 and you have virtually a full 3 months before E124 starts. In that time I think you will become more adjusted and settled into the whole return to study situation. You will have much more of a 'feel' for the course, the Ou, your tutor etc and I can see no reason why you would not be able to cope with the overlap of courses.

When I did E123 I was returning to study after a gap of 30+ years but there was no option to overlap 123/124. At that time both courses started in February and I hated the wait between the two!!

As I progressed with my FD studies I did overlap some courses and it was fine. I think it depends largely on your personal/work situation. I have grown up children and work part time so I could give my study all the time it needed. What is right for one student is not necessarily the answer for another!

With regard to the tutorials for E124 I imagine this hasn't changed since I did it - there were 3 or 4 tutorials during the course, probably the same number as for E123. You may well find that you have the same tutor for E124 and if so she may be well aware that she has students doing both courses and will arrange tutorials accordingly. Occasionally there may be a clash of tutorials and unfortunately, though rare, it is just bad luck but not the end of the world. It happened to me once throughout the whole FD and I was faced with attending the third tutorial for one course or the first tutorial for the 'overlap' course and I chose the latter.

Sorry I am prattling now - good luck with the decision making it is never easy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)