Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numicon

Numicon is a multi-sensory teaching approach to maths for children aged 3-7 and older pupils with special needs- it is fun to use and easy to teach.

Numicon uses patterns to represent each numeral; the patterns are structured to encourage the understanding of number and number relationships, essential for successful arithmetic.

The Numicon small-step teaching programme is research based and written by practising teachers. It is easy to follow, pupils are highly motivated by Numicon and quickly develop positive attitudes to maths.

Go here to find out more:

http://www.numicon.com/

I use it all the time- it is amazing- the shapes are weighted so you can balance amounts and demonstrate what the equals sign means.

Please leave your experiences, planning and comments here on this programme - so many people have asked me what it is- I thought we should have a topic on it.

Suzy, it would be good if they had the prices shown against the items..........I could only find out by putting items in the shopping basket.........and they seem quite expensive! The kit I looked at was £125, presumably VAT has to be added, bringing this kit up to almost £150.Is it really worth it??? For small groups such as ours, it would be a considerable outlay, so, would you recommend this for preschools, or is this really meant as a school resource? I have to say, it does look nice and i could certainly see us using this with our 'fledglings' group, ie those going off to school in the next intake, but.......ouch......so much money!You sound so positive that I could be tempted, but would like to know a bit more about it first. How easy is it to use for this age group? :)

To be honest- I think it is more of a school thing- we start it off in reception, it is not used by our feeder nursery schools. It is expensive, and for schools I think it is worth it because it fits in so well with transition from reception to year one. But I have not heard of anyone in nursery schools using it. I hope this helps you... I think it needs to be a school resource as it is new and exciting for the children to discover when they first come into school.

It is really very good for older special needs children- it has worked wonders higher up the school. There is a kit for reception and year one/ two- so those are the main year groups expected to use it.

Have i helped- or just rambled on too much?

Narnia, it is expensive and probably for a small group not worth the outlay. I was most impressed by a sales man and eventually was able to afford it but I actually found it very difficult to use. Maybe my approach was wrong?

I've used Numicon with year 2 and 3 children. Love it especially for SEN children or visual learners. The resources are bright and colourful, great planning tips/activity cards also.

Best ever way to teach money, in my opinion!

Problem is I don't have it in Reception.........YET!!!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)