Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds And/or Jolly Phonics?

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone's had any thoughts on using Letters and Sounds? I've been using the Jolly Phonics resources as usual but following Letters and Sounds order and using the suggested letter sounds and some of the activities. I am just finding that things worked better when I just followed Jolly Phonics. Does anyone else feel like that? I know it's not compulsory to use letters and sounds but as we are due an ofsted, would it look bad if it wasn't being used? I also thought you were not meant to mix different programs together so surely using one is ok if I have all the resources???? sorry for lots of questions, just want to get sorted for next week :o

we are doing jolly phonics at our school. The Head said it works so we are not changing , she will clear this with anyboby who comes into school. I know some other local schools to us are sticking with jolly phonics.

I think jolly phonics at reception level is great. All our children are progressing very well :o .

Hi Chrystal

I am currently taking part and leading the CLLD project in our school. The general concensus is that you continue with the programme that you feel works in your school i.e. Jolly Phonics and that you stick to it. However, the Letters and Sounds programme can be used as a suppliment. I am going to use the Jolly Phonics approach but have been using the Phases in Letters and sounds to assess where the children are at, our target is to get 80% of children up to phase 3 by the end of the year (apparently because of the pace it is do-able). Phase 1 is a great resource of games etc that can be used across the whole school, especially for SEN children. The games in Letters and sounds are really useful and I like the idea of segmenting and blending from the start. This term I have only concentrated on Phase 1 and already I have seen an improvement in the children's speaking and listening skills and use of oral segmenting and blending. I will now begin on Phase 2 but will use the approach of Jolly phonics. We are currently training (or I am training!!) all TA's and support assistants to use letters and sounds as a catch up programme. Also Year 1 and 2 teachers are using Letters and sounds to the book and getting good results. Sorry to witter on but I hope that helps, let me know if you want any more info.

Munch

xD Thank you so much for all your help. I was a bit concerned over the actual sounds being taught as they are different for each program. Do you think the sounds in JP are ok just to be taught i.e. not 'igh' etc as in letters and sounds? :o

Chyrstal, We are following Letter and Sounds order and will introduce 'igh' for the long vowel 'I', but I don't think it will matter, as long as Year 1 teacher knows which you've done, as s/he will introduce other alternative spellings. I'm sure Rec are expected to know one way of spelling long vowel sounds, but don't think it's as prescriptive as saying which one.

Harricroft

Chyrstal, We are following Letter and Sounds order and will introduce 'igh' for the long vowel 'I', but I don't think it will matter, as long as Year 1 teacher knows which you've done, as s/he will introduce other alternative spellings. I'm sure Rec are expected to know one way of spelling long vowel sounds, but don't think it's as prescriptive as saying which one.

Harricroft

Thanks. This has really helped as I was probably feeling consumed by Letters and Sounds and worried that the children would be missing out on certain trigraphs/digraphs etc. I think will adapt now to Jolly Phonics order with phonics games added in for blending and segmenting (some from letters and sounds). At the minute anyway I feel there may be half a child that would take 'igh' on board at end of year :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)