Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is This Profound Or Just Bonkers?

Hello Kitty

My 4yo dd's latest fave book at bedtime is Mummy Laid an Egg by Babette Cole a rather lovely version of the facts of life IMHO! Tonight after we read it she launched into a ramble about the olden days being a long time ago and modern times being now and as I was beginning to zone out (sounds mean but you know how it is after you've listened to children all day long!) she suddenly started on about mummies being born and finally we got to the crux of her ramble.... where did the first mummy come from? She had got her head around the fact that everybody has a mummy and had then actually wondered how that could be?

It kind of freaked me out but am I just being silly? I've worked with pre-schoolers for over 20 years and have never had one come up with something like that!

Whoaaaa! What a bright little button she is! I've no idea how I'd answer that question - easy if you believe God created us all but the whole evolutionary process is a little difficult to explain to a four year old, I'd have said!

Good luck - I have a feeling this won't be the first time she'll have you lost for words in her lifetime!

Maz

When you've got the answer please let me know in simple language that I can understand - I would be most grateful. they are brilliant though when they come up with things like this

Nikki

No not bonkers but profound.

My now eight year old also came up with this scenario a few years ago. Her version was "who borned the bornes."By this she meant if someone is born who gives birth to the first ever person born? No one told me you need a degree to be a parent!

well I started answering and she lost interest so obviously not quite mature enough to handle an answer to her profound question yet! Big Bang theory was a bit beyond dh too! I got as far as well some people believe there is a God and that He created the first people and she just cackled and said 'what out of? Play dough or something' and found that HIGHLY amusing...

No not bonkers but profound.

My now eight year old also came up with this scenario a few years ago. Her version was "who borned the bornes."By this she meant if someone is born who gives birth to the first ever person born? No one told me you need a degree to be a parent!

This sounds like a great premise for an essay - "Parents need a degree. Discuss..."

Maz

I think yes, very profound, and what's great about these types of questions is that children can learn that we don't know all the answers and that's ok.

Peggy

I seemed spend alot of my eldest childs early years saying

"I'm sorry darling I don't know the answer to that question".

I thought it was ok to admit I was flawed but now shes 14 she knows ALL the answers so thats ok :o