Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wild Animals

Hi! I will be starting after half term with the theme 'wild animals', I hope this will fill the 7 weeks until christmas! Does anyone have any ideas for planning that may have been successful or know the best way to approach the theme? I have a class of 19 early years children, 11 don't speak a word of English, therefore I have discovered this half term that I need to simplify the activities a lot to suit my children!!

Lucy x

Hi Lucy

Luxembourg that sounds exciting.

We have been doing a similar topic this half term and there's all sorts of ways to go with it.

Sounds, noises the animals make great for movement and expressing the way they make noises and the way they move.

Animal print, we found some animal print wrapping paper and then gave examples with paint rollers on how to achieve the print on paper.

Lots of great books with animals in.

We also had lots of toy animals and got the kids to sort them into different habitats jungle, ocean, farm.

You can also go out in the garden and go on a wild mini beast hunt lots to investigate.

Lots of collage to be done, making animal face masks using paper plates.

Now my mind has gone blank!!

Good luck!

• 5 months later...
Animal print, we found some animal print wrapping paper and then gave examples with paint rollers on how to achieve the print on paper.

Hi Shelley

Can you remember where you got the animal print paper from?

Hi Deb

The animal print paper was an old paper bag my mum was given in a shop!!!

I have seen animal print paper in IKEA before.

What about taking a close up photo of a cat/dog/cow fur and printing it out to see how it turns out? Could be an interesting project, the children could take a picture of their pet at home or something.

Thanks for the link Shiny, that's fabulous.

Shelley - another excuse to go to Ikea, as I needed another, I understand they're going to build a store in Southampton which will be great. Photos of children's pets.....now there's an idea!

Did find some what they call 'scrapbook animal print paper' on activityvillage website, if anybody is interested too. You can download it then print it. I'll try to find the web page.

Here it is -

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/african_a...pbook_paper.htm

Edited by Deb

Thanks Deb just what I need more lovely things to print out!!

I think a trip to Ikea might be cheaper!!! Well actually maybe it wouldn't!!!

If your at Ikea check out the animal print stacking boxes.We have them on our maths shelves for our pet topic and the kids loved them.Theres a small playmobil cat because we had the story 'my cat likes to hide in boxes'.We had some great postion work and hiding him on different boxes.Look with wrapping paper

Ikea also have a couple of sets of animal postcards.Theres a set of mums with babies and a set of charcoal drawings of wild animals that we put in our paint area.I laminate them and have a larger selection of these Ikea sets and much cheaper than educational suppliers.-Look in picture selectio

They also have wild animal finger puppets-childrens selection

I also recommend the multicultural russian dolls.You need a man set and a lady set to make couples.

I don't have shares in IKEA-honest xD but I can usually be found on a wednesday morning (day off) tucking into £1 breakfast with my free coffee and the daily mail :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)