Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Colour Band?

Hi guys, I'm after some help (as usual).

For some course work I'm doing a plan, discussing EL goals and progrssion. I have a cild who is able to recite numbers but not use them as labels, working to the foundation stage curriculum, which colour band would he be in, yellow or blue.

I realise this may be a really silly question, but I think my brain has switched off since the children came home. :o

thanks

Sally

I've always been a bit of a rebel in that I find it impossible to put children in 'boxes' or 'colours'. On my profiles I do colour half blue and half yellow if I think they've shown progess but haven't achieved all the yellow stepping stones...... others will no doubt disagree with me but our receiving schools are ok with it and I would far rather record achievement so there's no misunderstanding - after all someone might interpret a totally blue box as not being able to do any of the yellow stepping stones which is equally wrong. Why not put a post-it with a comment on the profile if you're concerned?

What is most important is a whole team approach, that you are all consistent in your recording methods.

Thanks LJW and Susan,

I agree with not wanting to 'label' te children as being in one band or the other, unfortunately the course work asks for it!! I sometimes wonder where they get the 'test-book' children from, I've yet to meet one. Our children definetely have a 'mix and match' approach to their development (a bit from here, a bit from there), just as it's supposed to be.

Thanks again

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)