Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Display Inset

mand

Hi,

After half term I have to give an inset to the whole school on display. I was thinking about getting teachers to go into classrooms and fill out a questionaire with questions such as, are displays interactive, challenging etc. How can we make them so? I would then like them to do an interactive display for their year group. What do you think? Can you think of some good questions for the questionaire? Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Hi Mand,

My daughters school did this earlier on this year. Teachers had to go into each others classrooms and give feedback on what they thought of the displays. Some parents were asked too, along with a group of children.

The children's opinions were held in high regard and everyone took the whole event in the spirit it was intended (no offence taken).

Sorry, my mind is blank on questions you could ask. I'm sure someone else will be along to help soon.

:o

I think you need to think about your team. Will any of them find that approach threatening? I certainly think you need some criteria to judge against. Principles of display?

We had an inset at my last school but it was delivered by an outsider who showed us a range of photos from different schools to illustrate what she was talking about.

An interesting topic for an INSET, but I know lots of teachers are very anxious about their displays being criticised so you'll need to make sure it's not some sort of competition! You could ask them to find their favourite ones in the school, rather than asking for feedback on ones in a particular classroom.

You could also get discussions going on the value of children doing their own displays, ie ones that don't look "perfect", conforming to school guidelines, but those that are truly theirs. :o

• 1 year later...

Hi all i am relitavely new to FSF abd i find it really usefull. its great!! i wonder if anyone can help? my setting has been told that we have to have a Display Policy? can anyone help? or does anyone have such a policy? :o

We as TA's had to go on a display workshop afternoon, we walked round the school and talked about the displays,and how effective they were, and the general problems associated with doing displays. We also took some work to be mounted along and shared ideas on how to mount and display to best effect. We all found it great to share ideas and frustrations round doing displays and in fact after the workshop each Key stage and the FS received a brand new step ladder! as that was brought up as the most frustrating thing about displays that could be fixed ( not enough hours in the day was the other!).

We have a display policy it covers amongst other things using co-ordinating coloured drawing pins. At this point I cann not remember the rest!

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)