Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Schemas:

We have spotted a schema common amongst several children over the course of this week and last, and would like to incorporate this into our child-led 'motivational planning'. I have done a quick mindmap for Rotation which includes things like marble painting in a tin (adapted for Autumn by using conkers, acorns etc), Big Builder using nuts and bolts and wheels, magnetic vehicle set, hoops, cars and tunnels (various carboard tubes of different diameters), paint spinner, cog set, my apple peeler and corer machine (deadly but great fun!), ribbons and flags for dancing, shaving foam/corn flour in tuff spot, garage role play with toolkits, clocks, skittles....

What wonderful, original ideas can you come up with that I have completely overlooked?

Do you think it would be worth starting a resource bank for schemas?

water wheels

windmills

paint rollers

rolling pins/pastry wheels

tripod stand with the bottle of sand experiment

brain dead cant think of any more

great idea about schemas my grandaughter has just started to cover and stack things drives mum mad she empties all her toy boxes then stacks them. my daughter is already planning to buy bricks and stacking equipment for her for xmas ,that goes with the zillions of bags she has to transport things too. schemas are very interesting arent they?

sue

Schemas are interesting aren't they. Think the schema resource bank would be a great idea. Haven't noticed a rotation schema yet but will be on the look out. Have noticed an enveloping schema and a couple of trajectory schema!

How exciting!! Haven't introduced the concept of schemas to my team yet, but it's on the list! One thing at a time!

Let us know how it goes - sounds like they're going to have a lot of fun.

You may find you can support their interest in rotation in other parts of the curriculum, e.g. singing 'The Wheels on the Bus' is an obvious one, 'Here we go round the mulberry bush'. Therefore dances, too. Obstacle courses with a circular route; circular tracks.

Cathy Nutbrown lists stories to support the main schemas in her book, 'Threads of Thinking' [1999 edition - I haven't checked the latest one]

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check Threads of Thinking too. Got the new edition but not had time to read it yet!! Took my husband's hand drill in today. They were fascinated so tomorrow I'll take a block of wood to try and drill into...... Rotation has really fitted in well with the Garage role play started up today. (Took me blooming ages to make the 3 Bears Playthings frame for the garage cover tho - I was relieved the children wanted to play in it after all that!!) I'll keep you posted how things are going!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)