Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special Educational Needs

Hi everyone,

Need to pick your brains again. The question is what is your understanding of special needs including the code of practice [1994] for the identification and assessment of special educational needs?

Hi Tracie,

The statement I always come back to when deciding if a child in my nursery has special educational needs, is whether we need to do anything different from, or additional to, anything we do for the other children. If we do, then the child is placed on our SEN register after discussion and agreement with parents or carers, and we start logging more detailed observations and setting small targets on the child's Individual Education Programme (IEP).

I think you have to look at the code of practise as a framework or tool to enable you to aquire additonal resouces or skills. Like Helen says its different form the normal differenation that you would do. You could talk about the issues around SEN for famililes often there is a reluctance to put the SEN stamp on a child at a young age? I would be sure to include specific disabliles as well as other factors that have huge impact on learning ie behavioural and emotional problems

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)