Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Last Half Hour Of The Day

What do people out their do in the last half a hour of school? The children come in from play at 2.30, leaving me with 35 mins to keep them amused. I really feel like I'm not making full use of this time. I normally read a story, play a phonics game or do some singing etc, but the children get very restless- 35mins is a long time to sit on the carpet! Any ideas / advise would be gratefully received. :o

It's not a problem we have, as we don't have afternoon play. Could you do some ring games, action songs so they're not sitting down? When do you tidy up? Don't know whether it would work to tidy up after play rather than before? I doubt it would work with my lot as they take so long we wouldn't be ready in 35 minutes! My lot last year would sit for longer for music if we had the instruments out.

I'm sure someone else will come along with some ideas.

Harricroft

Block play is quite good for this time of day, the children can play solo, paired or in groups as they choose, it's physical, creative, promotes language / conversation and is a good calming, relaxing wind down type of activity.

We also use blocks for circle songs, sitting in a circle, each child has a block in each hand and the rythmns are tapped out as they sing, or just doing rythmn patterns, following the adult, tapping the floor, hands ( blocks) together, above the head, fast slow etc, then lead from this into a full group block building activity.

Have fun. :o

Peggy

we have 30 minutes at the end of the day too... but by the time everyone's in... and I've given things out, then we really only have time for a few stories.

I found it helpful for having tables in charge of certain things at the end of the day... for example, some children are responsible for doing a sweep of the cloakroom and bringing in any coats/hats that have been left... some children in charge of checking book bag boxes, some children reset all the activity cards ready for the morning, some make sure all the wellies are put back neatly, some are in charge of collecting all the models from the other room, and some admittedly, just sit there and chat... but they always seem to like that time... to just chat quietly with the other children, whilst everyone else sorts themselves out... it only ever takes about 5 mins once we've practised :o haha

~ Porl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)