Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Record Keeping - How Long

Dear All

I think there is a post here somewhere that talks about how long we need to keep everything - if not am trying to find the answers to how long do we need to keep:-

copies of insurance certificates

childrens records

accident/incident/books

committee meeting minutes

payroll/staff information

CRB's on staff (perhaps who have left)

annual returns on NEG type things

annual reports and accounts

monthly budgets etc

and other things you can think of!!!

If anyone can point me in the right direction would be most appreciated otherwise advice please - I have tried looking but cannot find it.

Many thanks

Nikki

Thank you so much - you are just like the fairies - you ask a question - go to bed and in the morning all your queries are answered - brilliant - what would I do without you all - just wish I was as organised as you lot.

Nikki

Nicola,

I'm just checking something... in your original list you mentioned CRB checks - you don't keep copies do you?

Just asking, as we have recently had some of our providers pulled up by Ofsted for doing this, depsite us telling them that they are only allowed to keep copies for a maximum of six months for recruitment purposes then they have to be destroyed.

You can however keep details of the CRB number, date it was carried out, type of CRB and name of the employee for Ofsted purposes.

Thanks RB I must remember this - it just seems easier to keep the photocopy with the staff file rather than write it all out. Does anyone know what the reason is for not being able to keep them as a matter of interest - I assume it has something to do with data protection but cannot quite see how extracting the information and keeping it on file is any different to having a copy. I would be interested to see if any Ofsted inspector has checked any of the numbers/detail or do they do it as a matter of course? Nikki

Thanks RB I must remember this - it just seems easier to keep the photocopy with the staff file rather than write it all out. Does anyone know what the reason is for not being able to keep them as a matter of interest - I assume it has something to do with data protection but cannot quite see how extracting the information and keeping it on file is any different to having a copy. I would be interested to see if any Ofsted inspector has checked any of the numbers/detail or do they do it as a matter of course? Nikki

I think you are right in that it is data protection and the actual CRB disclosure is the sole property of the applicant. Ive got a 'good practice' guide that we produced at work, so I'll see what that says and post it on Monday.

I think you are rght to question if Ofsted actually checked numbers, and I'm not sure if they do. However, one of my after school clubs was given an inadequate as they had not carried out effective recruitment processes to ensure the safety of the children. In fact, I had been on the interview panel and checked the CRBs of all candidates, but the chair of the committee had not recorded the information when staff were employed. Slightly different to keeping copies of the forms, but a cautious note to all employers.

I use one sheet to record CRB info, name, number, type, date sent for, date received, date shredded and then renewal date. I can see at a glance the process for each member of staff. :o I do the same for references too.

Peggy

I know you definately need to keep accident records for forty years. This is because someone can bring a claim against you for this length of time.

A word of warning here, it`s worth keeping very detailed accident records for your own protection, including staff ones. I heard of a case on my first aid course recently where a pregnant member of staff was punched in the stomach by a child whilst at work. Later her child was born with disabilities and it was by careful accident recording that the nursery were able to prove the punch was on the wrong side of the stomach to have caused the problem. If they did not have this proof via their staff accident book they would have been sued for a lot of money.

It`s a bit like picking your way around a minefield in this profession. We have to know so much. Thank goodness for this forum so we can all help each other.

I know you definately need to keep accident records for forty years. This is because someone can bring a claim against you for this length of time.

Sally,

There is no statutory requirement to do this so I am interested in who told you it must be 40years. I know that there is legislation regarding dangerous substances such as asbestos and lead - incidents involving these state 40 years. As far as I am aware with children you must keep the accident records until they reach the age of 21. :o

I noticed in Nursery World letters recently, a representative from Morten Michel reminded readers that current regulations indicate that we should retain our Employers liability Insurance Certificates for a period of 40 yrs from the commencement of their insurance policy. Apparently they had an employers liability case recently that started in 1988!.

Must admit that as I read it I thought well surely the Insurance company have the policy details/ cover etc.

I think I may have a future career as a data storage provider :o

Peggy

I went on CAF training yesterday and it appears we should add details about how long we are going to keep CAF records to our list. We were told it was ok to pass these on to the receiving school or setting, with parental/carer consent. Clearly it would be adviseable to have this stated openly somewhere!