Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Dvd To Show Parents On An Informal Afterno

Hi,

In a couple of weeks I'm going to have an open afternoon and invite the parents in during the last 30 mins of the day (Reception class). I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar using a short dvd to demonstrate foundation stage curriculum. I'm not very confident in front of large group of parents and would rather show them something and then encourage discussion and perhaps a look round the classroom and time to chat.

Rachel

Hi,

In a couple of weeks I'm going to have an open afternoon and invite the parents in during the last 30 mins of the day (Reception class). I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar using a short dvd to demonstrate foundation stage curriculum. I'm not very confident in front of large group of parents and would rather show them something and then encourage discussion and perhaps a look round the classroom and time to chat.

Rachel

Hi

I had to do the same thing as you during an evening and i am new to the foundation stage also. The way i tackled it was to make a simple powerpoint explaining the EYFS and 6 areas of learning and 10 areas of continous provision. I then included a page each on how i am going to teach phonics, reading and writing and maths (inc how the children progress) and what they can do to help and support at home. The final part of the powerpoint included things like 'bring reading books every day etc, head lice management etc. The lights will be dimmed for your smartboard so no-one will see your reddening face. it worked for me!! The parents were then free to look around. Don't know if thats any help. Good luck anyway

Moo

Hi,

I've done a similar thing before and actually used a video camera and filmed the children doing the activities in the classroom. (gaining consent from parents first!)

This worked brilliantly because the parents were so interested in the video and seeing their child at school. This then led onto a discussion where I explained about phonics - then I showed a clip of their children taking part in a phonic session.

Just an idea but hope it helps

Boogie :o

Hi Rachel,

After 6 years of teaching in Reception class I decided that I needed to review the way that I conducted my Welcome meeting for new parents. I decided that I needed to do more of a visual presentation. I have tried to include my presentation (sorry but it is Power point) for you to see. One of the slides was linked to a Jolly phonics video. At the end of the presentation I showed my previous class saying what they most liked about the class. It was a lovely, memorable way to end. I received lots of positive feed back.

Obviously during the presentation I explained everything to the parents, but tried to keep it largely visual. I have attatched the presentation and Jolly phonics DVD showing exactly how we teach phonics(part of which I showed.)

Hope this is useful and helps you. Good luck!!

Hope these have attatched correctly as I have never done it before!!!!!

Louise

Jolly Phonics Website

Edited by Guest

Hi Rachel,

After 6 years of teaching in Reception class I decided that I needed to review the way that I conducted my Welcome meeting for new parents. I decided that I needed to do more of a visual presentation. I have tried to include my presentation (sorry but it is Power point) for you to see. One of the slides was linked to a Jolly phonics video. At the end of the presentation I showed my previous class saying what they most liked about the class. It was a lovely, memorable way to end. I received lots of positive feed back.

Obviously during the presentation I explained everything to the parents, but tried to keep it largely visual. I have attatched the presentation and Jolly phonics DVD showing exactly how we teach phonics(part of which I showed.)

Hope this is useful and helps you. Good luck!!

Hope these have attatched correctly as I have never done it before!!!!!

Louise

Jolly Phonics Website

Hi,

Thanks for sharing those. I have taken out the Jolly Phonics powerpoint presentation and put in a link to the site instead. Anyone who would like a copy can download it for free from there. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)