Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing In Reception

Hi!

I was just wondering how much and what type of writing any reception teachers out there do with their children. Previously, my children have written weekend news in their 'diaries' each week. However, Some children's sentences were very similar each week e.g. I went to the park etc etc :o and then any writing linked to topic work. Obviously there is independent mark making, water/chalk writing outdoors etc aswell.

I have a book by Ros Bayley called 'Creative Writing' (I think, can't find it at minute!) and it has some lovely ideas to facilitate ideas for writing e.g. taking a cake in class, cutting it open and finding a key inside - what might this key unlock? or taking a teddy in saying you found it on your doorstep, whose might it be? and so on.

To get to the point, do you think the following would be a reasonable amount of writing??

Begin the week with the creative writing (guided) so each child during the week produces one piece of creative writing.

A small amount of topic writing e.g. labelling the butterfly cycle or whatever.

After each half term, writing their news from the holidays.

And introducing handwriting at a later stage.

So really, children will only be producing 1/2 pieces of writing per week. Is this enough?

Sorry for rambling, just confused about the amount of writing expected when there is so much to cover in the six areas - I don't want the whole week consumed by phonics and writing.

xD hope someone out there can help; I would be most grateful!

Hi Chrystal,

Can I just ask - are your children ready for writing yet?It is very early into term, so I'm presuming that some of your children may not have secure speaking and listening skills yet, the motor skills or the ability/enthusiasm to sit and concentrate on quite a dry and removed activity, and so pushing into writing too soon would be detrimental.

Of course each child is different, but I would personally be wary of doing any formal writing, and rather concentrate more on modelling writing within activities where writing is a natural part of play (eg: writing a shopping list in the home corner etc).

I hope this makes sense!

Hi!

I was just wondering how much and what type of writing any reception teachers out there do with their children. Previously, my children have written weekend news in their 'diaries' each week. However, Some children's sentences were very similar each week e.g. I went to the park etc etc :o and then any writing linked to topic work. Obviously there is independent mark making, water/chalk writing outdoors etc aswell.

I have a book by Ros Bayley called 'Creative Writing' (I think, can't find it at minute!) and it has some lovely ideas to facilitate ideas for writing e.g. taking a cake in class, cutting it open and finding a key inside - what might this key unlock? or taking a teddy in saying you found it on your doorstep, whose might it be? and so on.

To get to the point, do you think the following would be a reasonable amount of writing??

Begin the week with the creative writing (guided) so each child during the week produces one piece of creative writing.

A small amount of topic writing e.g. labelling the butterfly cycle or whatever.

After each half term, writing their news from the holidays.

And introducing handwriting at a later stage.

So really, children will only be producing 1/2 pieces of writing per week. Is this enough?

Sorry for rambling, just confused about the amount of writing expected when there is so much to cover in the six areas - I don't want the whole week consumed by phonics and writing.

xD hope someone out there can help; I would be most grateful!

Hi Melanie

No, they are not ready yet and yes they are having lots of speaking and listening, role play writing and so on. I am thinking for in the future when they are ready - I like to be prepared! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)