Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Protection Of Staff From Children !

Hi,

Not quite sure what title would be approriate for this one.

I have had a new child started who is 3yrs nearly 4yrs and is a big girl. Not in weight but in height and she is solid.

Problem I have is that her mother took her away from her other pre school and she led me to believe that the other pre school had no line in discipline and let her daughter run wild. They kept phoning her up from work to collect her child as she had been "naughty".

Mini alarm bells rang but I felt for the child.

The other pre school had obviously labelled her as "naughty" and she knew if she showed unacceptable behaviour mum would be called.

Then after she begen last Friday I had and incident that involved some unacceptable behaviour but we dealt with it and she was fine. It then transpires that she was violent towards the other children and staff at the other pre school. Mum only deceided to offer this information after I mentioned the incident to her. She asked did her daughter attack anyone!!!!

Oh joys of joys.

I do not plan to give up on this child but feel I do need to protect my staff, so does anyone have a Child towards Staff abuse Policy that I could try and use as a template or any ideas of what I could put in.

I would like to add SEN bells are ringing. Does anyone know where I stand on contacting the other pre school.

Net x

Just remembered my manager who has been on the EYFS training talking about working in partnership.In the practice guidence book of the new pack on page 7 - talks about how children will recieve education and care from more than one provider.

"These patterns of attendence will be a key factor in planning". and "Practitioners MUST ensure effective

continuity and progression by sharing relevent information with each other and parents".

Don't know if this applies here but its something to think about.

Am looking for my policies to see if we have one which might be of help - will get back if I find one!!

Good luck!

Do you have a Data Protection information sheet that you send out? I put one that I used to use in the Resource Library - in it, it lists the agencies and professionals with whom I might share information about the child and for what reason. I think it's a very good idea for you to gather and share information with the previous provider but think that you would need to seek agreement from the parent first.

Hi,

I have a policy that states that I will share information with other agencies but the other pre school in question does not. So my hands are tied that way.

I had a better day with her today but ishe s beginning to show more SEN signs.

I really need advice on what to include in the protection of staff policy. (thought of a name)

net x

I do not have such a policy but I think I would put something in on the lines of: On acceptance of a place parents are deemed as giving permission for the preschool to explore any other professional avenues that the preschool feels is necessary to support any child's developmental progress, this would include language, speech, behaviour etc......

Your positive behaviour management policy could include further details of how you would deal with 'abusive' behaviour towards other children or adults.

Peggy

just another thought the other preschool, in my mind, did not deal with her behaviour by calling mum in, such behaviour has to be dealt with instantly. Some children may even learn to behave innapropriately to 'control' mum coming in to pick them up. (if you know what I mean) I'm not saying this is what is happening with this child but transfering 'discipline' to the parent the preschool is teaching the child that they are not able to deal with it.

Peggy

Just wanted to add I will follow this thread with interest having nearly had my front tooth knocked out yesterday by a very boisterous lad we have!

He has headbutted as well - there are assessments being made - he is the loveliest boy you could ever imagine just having trouble expressing himself, other issues goin on too, it is the mum I feel for as well she walks in to collect with a look of dread "what has he done today" type of look.

Thank you all for your posts.

I agree that the child has linked unacceptable behaviour with mum coming to pick her up. Luckily, that will not be happening with me.

My setting intends to support this child and mum as well as we can and mum does seem to continue this at home - for example

I know there has been posts about agreeing or disagreeing with sticker/reward charts but I am an agreeer.

I believe that children need something visual to work towards, so I have put in place the yellow and red sticker chart.

Throughout the day she will recieve yellow stickers on a plain white laminated piece of card. When there is unacceptable behaviour (boundaries have already been discussed) she will recieve a red sticker on her chart. If she gets all yellow stickers she will get a star to take home and mum will allow her a treat - 30 mins watchin tv. If she gets a red sticker - no star- no tv.

The next day, she takes off the red sticker herself to show that the unacceotable behaviour is all gone. SO FAR (9 days) we have only had 1 red sticker. She is coming in happily and looks forward to yellow stickers.

The policy is still in the making - Thanks peggy for your usual good advice and shirel, good luck.

Net x

Your reward chart sounds as if it's working. I am anti reward charts in the context of whole group ones, where comparisons and competition sets in but I have also used reward charts for individuals, ones which remain mainly confidential between the child / adult and in your case parent.

She is learning that her actions equal consequences, all be they consequences to her. This is how she can learn this concept because it is relevant to her, as she matures a bit she will learn about the consequences of her behaviour in relation to her peers, ie: understanding of others. It is also giving mum some positives for a change, so well done. xD

Have in mind how you will progress from this reward system so as to be ready before the novelty wears off. :o maybe a system where she can learn self discipline, opportunities for her to reward herself and explain to you why she thinks she deserves her reward. and alternitively let her decide what sanctions are made should she misbehave, something more instant than when she gets home.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy,

I admit that I hadn't even thought that far ahead but will now. I am off work now until after half term so will have a good 3 weeks to come up with alternatives.

I had my staff meeting, discussed a staff protection policy and I had some good input so will try and construct something.

No rest and relaxation for the wicked.

Net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)