Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Plates Must We Spin!?

Hi all,

just feel i need to have a moan about how many things we're asked to do in reception!! Last year our school brought the RML scheme to teach phonics, reading, writing etc it was brought to replace jolly phonics which i know isnt perfect, we started using the new scheme at easter after having minimal training (even tho it says in the manual all staff should be trained to deliver it including TA's but there is no money for cover for us to go!) after using the scheme i can see the benefits as its the best bits of a couple of schemes including bits from jolly phonics and even letterland. Our literacy co-ordinator has now brought us the Letters and Sounds document which is replacing PiPs so we have to try and fit that in as well!! We've had a staff meeting tonight and yr1 and 2 are moaning about how the children don't know what a sentence is, havent got enough high frequency words and have poor letter formation...as ususal it all comes back to us in reception! I feel we work damn hard in reception to fit in everything we have to do to get the children to where they should be at the end of the foundation stage, as well as being creative and allowing the children to learn through play, i sometimes get the feeling other staff think we should be sitting at tables doing handwriting and mental arithmetic lessons on slate boards!!....do any other reception teachers feel they are sometimes fighting a losing battle with their KS1 collegues?!

Phew rant over....take a deep breathe and count to 10...!

Catherine x

thats was my point entirely!!

But apparently she says they intermingle so we can use aspects from letters and sounds like the activities and other bits are similar e.g. 'toy talk' is the same as 'fred talk' from RML, i wonder what bandwagon we'll be jumping on next?!

Guest tinkerbell

I think you need to stick to one as the main scheme and add activities from others eg jolly phonics actions etc otherwise you will get confused.Rose did say 'fidelity' you could remind her!

I think this time of year is hard in reception class as we get to know our new children and set routines.I too feel top heavy with phonics as i am trying the letters and sounds way.I also have 6 yr1 boys who are a bit of a handful!!!

TInkerbellx

I agree with tinkerbell - you really need to stick with one or the other - and as tinkerbell points out Rose stresses this. You can't possibly have the time to do both.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)