Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keywords

I am in a dilemma.

I don't no if to keep with sending home the 45 keywords as usually or do i send words home focusing on the words learnt each week in letters and sounds.

Help!

Guest tinkerbell

I think the ones you are doing in class.The ones the children are working on.When I introduce reading books I will be sending words such as Floppy,Kipper.....( a few weeks off yet!)

Tinkerbellx

Am I right in thinking that the 'new' list of 100 HFW's replaces the 45...therefore children entering year 1 are expected to have all of the words secure by the end of Yr R ??? when exactly are we supposed to teach the other areas of learning??? does anyone else feel this way? :o

I totally totally agree, someone along the way has totally forgotten that it is actually 6 areas of learning and linking sounds and letters is just one area. At the moment, my mornings are phonics, my afternoons everything else, crazy, and yet they still expect that 80% of what is in profiles is child initiated. Why oh why doesnt someone listen to the responses on this forum. The expectations are ridiculous; these children are 4 and 5 years old; what has happened to a broad, balanced, enriching curriculum???????????? Am very confused at the moment! You are not alone!! :o

We have started using the 100 words across the Key stages and i have put them into grids to word through in chunks. Hope they are useful.

Sparklebox has some great resources to help too!

As for 100 words in reception instead of 45 don't even get me started! :o

Have just checked my files and they have loaded on in wrong font! But that is easy enough for anyone to change - the font I used may not be on your list, it is from a handwriting package we have! Sorry.

SET_OF_WORDS_A_phase_2_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_B_phase_3_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_C_phase_4_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_D_phase_5_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_E_phase_6_plus_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_F_phase_6_plus_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_G_phase_6_plus_words.doc

SET_OF_WORDS_H_phase_6_plus_words.doc

Edited by Guest

The 100 HFW aren't just for reception and Letters and Sounds recommends that decodable words should not be taught as sight words which leaves 6 "Tricky" words in Phase 2 .... 12 words in Phase 3..... 14 words in Phase 4 which is the end of reception.

Edited by Marion

Glad it's not just me finding it hard to balance the 6 areas of learning. I tried to draft up a 'timetable' as requested by management. Once I'd included RE (2.5 hours per week as I'm in a RC school), PE - 2 sessions (including mega time for changing!), laptop time, assemblies - fortunately only 2 a week, big sing - all FS and KS1 (nice, fun, enjoyable and wouldn't really want to miss), 20 mins a day phonics, plus literacy/numeracy .... I ended up with only 3 afternoon - not full ones - to cover PHSE, CD, KU (other than computers) and other PD that you want to include - can't help but feel I'm failing ... and that OFSTED will find BIG faults when they come ... and we're expecting them SOON. Just don't know what to do????????? PLUS - Lit co-ordinator wants us to do 20 mins each day on guided reading.

We were able to show Ofsted that we had tailored our curriculum to the needs of our children in Reception, that we had a slightly bigger leaning towards lit and num because of the low baselines and the extra support in these areas needed. They said it was ok and mentioned it in their feedback and report.

Thank you for all your help.

It seems this is an issue close to eveyones heart.

I am finding it hard to fit everything into the day and i look at my children and think what happened to good old fashioned play. I am fully aware that they need firm foundations in literacy and numeracy for the future but they also need to be children.

I have asked our Early Years advisers to come into school next week for just that reason. We are under pressure from the school Link Inspector to have children producing two pieces of written work in books and have two guided reading sessions from the day they start school. xD:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)