Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Super Learning Day

Guest Cath

Guest Cath

:) Our school is having a 'Super Learning Day' in July. Its linked to the Brain Gym/University of the first age etc. Basically its having 'get up and go' activities to teach the children how we use our brains in different ways and how there isn't one best way of learning as we are all different kinds of learners. The whole school is starting the day with a healthy breakfast and having an assembly introducing the day. We are then working in our key stages so Foundation stage will have to think of all its own activities. So far a lot of the ideas we have had and suggestions for people to come in and do work shops have all been more Key Stage 1/2 based. It'd be great to hear if anyone had done one so I could get an idea of how you organised the day or even if people haven't done one i'd really appreciate any ideas.

Hello there Cath. We had our Super Learning Day in April and started it in a similar way to you with a healthy breakfast, whole school assembly to kick start it and then worked out a rota within Key Stages. We worked out workshops on the different smarts e.g. nature smart, word smart, art smart etc.. We tried to make each area for the workshop feel very different e.g moving furniture, making simple scenary and adding music.

In the Foundation stage for the Nature smart session a teacher asked to borrow different pets and strange and wonderful plants. She borrowed a dog, guinea pig, goldfish, tortoise and a horse came to visit.... and the children spent the session about 45 minutes looking after the animals, taking photos of them, looking at books and photos and talking to their owners. (After each child had been to a workshop they were given a sticker e.g. with nature smart on ) We found in the day each group of 15 children could only really visit 3 workshops. We involved teahers, T.A.'s and parents in running workshops.

We also ran a Word smart session where the children listened to 'Little Red Riding Hood' in a forest we had made, while listening to woodland sound effects. In 3 groups the children then acted out the story as the teacher re-told it and increasingly with the children saying more of the phrases.

An art smart workshop we ran involved making pictures using all types of materials using feet, mouths, attaching tools onto hats or lying underneath tables.

We did loads of other fun activities too. I'll post some more up when I have time ! I've got to whizz to the gym !

Best wishes. Enjoy your day. Just do something fun and creative on a larger scale than you can usually do.

Galleon

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cath

:) Hi Galleon,

Thanks very much for your reply. The pets idea is a great one. I think most of the workshops the rest of the school do will be the kinds of things we do every day in our foundation stage unit-acting out stoies/pieces of art at our creative workshop etc so like you say, its just a case of doing it on a larger scale than usual, giving out stickers etc and just making it feel 'different'. Thanks again, If you do get time to give some more of those ideas though i'd still appreciate them. Cheers!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)