Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Manager Interview- Any Tips Please -ahhh

HI Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know its probaby a bit late to ask but i have an interview tomorrow for a Nursery Managers job and am just wondering if anybody has any tips or advise. I am a qualified teacher and teach in the nursery at our school but am hoping to be promoted. :o Thank you :)

Hi Mandy! I'm on the other side of this, just preparing questions, etc. in order to interview for a nursery manager! Make sure that you're up to speed with all the major guidleines and legislation including the National Daycare Standards, Birth to Three, Foundation Stage guidance, Every Child Matters, etc. It would also be good to have some knowledge of the up and coming EYFS, though I wouldn't expect you to have in-depth knowledge as training is only just being rolled out.

I would expect that you'll have a question/opportunity to talk about staff and people management, promoting teamwork, motivating and leading a team, etc. - maybe think of some strategies that you will use and can talk about? There may also be something about specific policies and procedures and your knowledge of good practice relating to them.

Is this a post in a private setting for a nursery open all year round? What is the age range in the nursery|?

Hi there Good Luck!

Im suprisied at your move, I think you will find that you get less and less time with the children if your the manager (maybe thats why you went for it!!)

Wolife had made some good points, you do need to show how you manage a team, and able to control budgets. You will need to show you are aware of the whole picture when it comes to over seeing the whole of the nursery. Im sure that showing your enthusitic and care about childrens learning is alwyas a good place to start.

There are very different strains on day care as opposed to a school setting the longer hours and no holidays, parents expectations can also be very different. Hope it all goes well for you, try not to be too nervous.

I am guessing the 'promotion' is within your current school nursery. If this is the case then you would know policy etc, some good advice from Wolfie. Consider good communication skills at various levels -parents, multi-agency, others in the school, suppliers, advisors, LEA, children ( of course!) local resources / people etc.

If the interviewers are familiar to you, don't assume they know you, tell them about your strengths and what areas you know you want to develop and how you will do that through future training opportunities.

When I interview I know which candidates speak from the heart and which ones speak from the text book !. Try and show your Commitment ( to try your best), your passion for early years and the rest will be a doddle. :o

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Peggy

Hi Mandy! I'm on the other side of this, just preparing questions, etc. in order to interview for a nursery manager! Make sure that you're up to speed with all the major guidleines and legislation including the National Daycare Standards, Birth to Three, Foundation Stage guidance, Every Child Matters, etc. It would also be good to have some knowledge of the up and coming EYFS, though I wouldn't expect you to have in-depth knowledge as training is only just being rolled out.

I would expect that you'll have a question/opportunity to talk about staff and people management, promoting teamwork, motivating and leading a team, etc. - maybe think of some strategies that you will use and can talk about? There may also be something about specific policies and procedures and your knowledge of good practice relating to them.

Is this a post in a private setting for a nursery open all year round? What is the age range in the nursery|?

Hi Wolfie, Thank you so much for the advice.I had my interview today. Think it went o.k although wasnt up to scratch on a couple of things ahhhh. They did ask ask about the new EYFS and my views on it which was a bit tricky. They did also ask lots of questions about staff motivation, morale etc which i was prepared for thank goodness. Many thanks for your reply. Shouls know on Friday hopefully. Thanks :):o

Hi there Good Luck!

Im suprisied at your move, I think you will find that you get less and less time with the children if your the manager (maybe thats why you went for it!!)

Wolife had made some good points, you do need to show how you manage a team, and able to control budgets. You will need to show you are aware of the whole picture when it comes to over seeing the whole of the nursery. Im sure that showing your enthusitic and care about childrens learning is alwyas a good place to start.

There are very different strains on day care as opposed to a school setting the longer hours and no holidays, parents expectations can also be very different. Hope it all goes well for you, try not to be too nervous.

Hi Arkie, Thanks for your reply and advice. Interview went o.k I think and I should find out on Friday. I went for Nurseryy Manager's job because we have had a cut back on teachers in out nursery and there is only 1 job now for a qualified teacher which is the manager and the Nursery Nurses will be in the nursery now. I have been re-assured that I will still be teaching a couple of days a week (to cover PPA time for the nursery nurses) in the nursery and not in the office doing admin all the time. Going to see how it goes as i want to still be with the children each day at some point. Thanks :)

I am guessing the 'promotion' is within your current school nursery. If this is the case then you would know policy etc, some good advice from Wolfie. Consider good communication skills at various levels -parents, multi-agency, others in the school, suppliers, advisors, LEA, children ( of course!) local resources / people etc.

If the interviewers are familiar to you, don't assume they know you, tell them about your strengths and what areas you know you want to develop and how you will do that through future training opportunities.

When I interview I know which candidates speak from the heart and which ones speak from the text book !. Try and show your Commitment ( to try your best), your passion for early years and the rest will be a doddle. :o

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Peggy

Hi Peggy

Thanks for your message-Yes promotion is within my school as the current manager is going to be on Maternity leave then doing a different role within school when she comes back. Definately spoke from the heart (prob too much at times LOL). Should find out Friday. Thanks for the great advise. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)