Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Black Paint Galore!

Just going through our paint supplies to check what needs replacing, and have managed to count so far 12 unopened bottles of black ready mix paint, plus about 7 bottles of dark brown - has anyone got any good ideas to use some of them up?

Looking forward to some great suggestions!!

Cheers

BB

Hi Basilbrush,

Funny how you always end up with it! I suppose its something to do with the way it stains your fingers and takes ages to wash off! However I think we do need to be using more black paint on easel etc instead of just primary colours.

Why dont you do some oursleves paintings, that way you can use up lots of black for hair and skin. and also use black and brown for skin tones and hair.

If you mix black you can also get grey, and all other tones will be darker. Good if you just have the ready mix tones on offer, I have used 6 colour blues for example to show children the ranges.

You could always use it for some halloween themes later on in the early (if you do this)

I have used some black ready mix paint in the water tray as it hides the objects and makes it more interesitng, but not too much as it will stain the bottom.

mix with white :o No seriously, our preschool children loved doing this, in large washing up bowl. They looked at the two colours and talked about things that are black or white, then we put white paint in the bowl, added black, which they stirred and observed the marble effect, then continued to mix to get grey.

Another idea, spider webs. Place a blob of white on card, straight from the bottle squirt lines like wheel spokes, then with a fork, comb from ome line to the next, joining them to make a web pattern.

Fold an A3 piece of card in half, open again, with the fold in vertical position squeeze from the centre on one side only, alternate white, black, white, black VERTICAL lines ( leaving a margin of about 2 inches at top and bottom). Fold card closed careful not to press down with hands/fingers and then carefully but quite hard, comb the card using a fork or afro comb or artexing comb, from the middle of the folded edge out in radius lines ( like half a sunshine). Open up you see an amazing butterfly print. See attached example.

Have fun.

Peggy

paint.doc

I'm sure you will need some black paint for fire works projects, encourge the children to paint the plain paper black for the the background as black paper is always hard to buy.

I always have pots of black left over in the back of the cupboard mainly as it stains every thing and when you have black in the painting pots our other colours always end up a brown sludgey colour!! this is fine if it is the effect your are after but it does trash the bright colours. It should be used more often & not left at the back of the cupboard!

Well there is always the old favorite of drawing on a white piece of paper with a white crayon and then covering with black paint to reveal the secret hidden picture. Goes really well with a pirate theme. One of our kids used up a lot of black paint one painting some food that he had made out of modelling clay, because he claimed that it had got burnt in the oven.

In the easel tray we provide primary-red yellow blue at one side and always white and black at the other so the children have the full range to beable to create secondary colours-green, purple, orange and shades of colour.In between a pot of clean water, a pot with a selection of paintbrushes (they are not in the pots when they children arrive) and a palette.

Bit of a bug bear with me to see 3 pots of primary colours with brushes in.You might get a black cat on a dark night but whats its name? To be truely creative children need choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)