Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Types Of Observations?

Hi I work in a FSU and was wondering what types of observations/formats you use. We were moderated last year and were told we didn't have enough variety. I am unsure of what types I should be using. We currently use photographs, videos, post it notes, focused obs on individual children, focused group and whole class observational sheets. What else could we be using my minds too busy with preparing fsu to think!! I would appreciate if people would share any observational forms they use and when I have gathered a variety I will put them in the resourses section. I think the types we lacked were things like narrative observations, time samples, tracking??? If anyone knows of any other types of observations I'd greatly appreciate it.

kat xxx

And that's not enough?????

Worlds gone mad. How about paired obs or ABC (the Behavioural one), both good for SEN type obs.

Happy to post them here if you want...

This is so annoying that yet again there is a difference between LEAs and what they require.

It begins to sound like a paper chase for the sake of it to me.

In my last school, the parallel teacher and I record our observations/ assessments in very different ways but our moderator was more than happy with our files and recognised that the differences were due to personal preference.

Could your moderator have been looking for CI activity observations cf AI ?

Have you looked at the different texts by Vicky Hutchins? They are very easy to read and might help at least put things into perspective. "The Foundation stage teacher in action" by Margaret Edington might also have something useful?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)