Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Plan 07-08

attached is my LTP, it includes timetable for areas and aspects I plan to cover over the year, the end column shows events / festivals and blank rows are filled in retrospectively with childrens own themes of play as children show their interests. The childrens interests can easily incorporate the planned aspects.

for example if children begin to play pirates in week 6 (maths) We will incorporate numbers, counting and calculating in their play. ie: number / counting songs related to pirates, calculating how many pirates can fit into the pirate ship at one time, is there room for any more?. etc. We record other curriculum areas of learning that the children show in our weekly sheets.

Peggy

ANNUAL_TIMETABLE_LONG_TERM_PLAN__2007_2008.doc

Thats brilliant Peggy i finally understand this CI idea now!! :o so if the children happen to iniate pirate play in week 5 you would bring in being kind etc (as pirates can be mean!!)and coorperate your rules through this?Or if they played pirates in week 7 you would bring in something like diff countries or sinking or floating depending on which way it went?

Thats brilliant Peggy i finally understand this CI idea now!! :( so if the children happen to iniate pirate play in week 5 you would bring in being kind etc (as pirates can be mean!!)and coorperate your rules through this?Or if they played pirates in week 7 you would bring in something like diff countries or sinking or floating depending on which way it went?

Yep you have got it Andreamay, that's how I see it anyway. Although I do still try to 'follow' the children and not impose what 'learning focus' the plans say. It would be a waste if the children were really into maths alongside pirates of their own doing and I come along and say well actually we need to consider investigating floating and sinking. The LTP does help me to try to ensure that there is an equal input of every aspect throughout a years period. I just try to remember that although it is a compulsory curriculum for us to deliver it is still not compulsory for children to attend. :o ( ooh, I like that quote, I shall have to try and remember it xD ).

Peggy

Thanks again peggy I have been able to renew our lTP on the same basis as you now however I noticed you havent included ICT is this because it is an ongoing activity? :o becuaes on this basis music could be included in this couldnt it as we sing,make music every day! Sorry for being so thick xD

Hi Peggy,

This is how i used to do our long term plan, then we had a visit from the early years advisor who said that Ofsted wouldnt like to see a plan that far in advance. I was told to leave the long term plan blank and fill it in as we went along, as we were told we couldnt possibly know what the children would be interested in or what areas/stepping stones needed addressing. So now we have a blank long term plan which we fill in each term. To be honest i much preferred our old way of doing things. Now i keep a long term plan at home pre filled in and a blank one at preschool, which i hand fill as we go along, which seems ridiculous to me but made early years happy.

I would guess that this plan isnt set in stone and for instance if you feel you get to week 4 for example and really feel you need to revisit another stepping stone you would.

We will have to change again next year anyhow I am going with peggy's idea but still a flexible approach and waiting to see what the new eyfs training brings.I can see where they are coming from though cupcake :o

Thanks again peggy I have been able to renew our lTP on the same basis as you now however I noticed you havent included ICT is this because it is an ongoing activity? :o becuaes on this basis music could be included in this couldnt it as we sing,make music every day! Sorry for being so thick xD

You are not being thick ! If I'm honest I forgot it :( . so thanks for pointing that out. However, it is ongoing, children have continued access to a camera, tape / CD player, programmable toys and dictaphones.

We've never had a computer but this year I have planned to have my laptop available in our office area and show the children how to download from the camera. This won't happen until end of spring / summer term.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

This is how i used to do our long term plan, then we had a visit from the early years advisor who said that Ofsted wouldnt like to see a plan that far in advance. I was told to leave the long term plan blank and fill it in as we went along, as we were told we couldnt possibly know what the children would be interested in or what areas/stepping stones needed addressing. So now we have a blank long term plan which we fill in each term. To be honest i much preferred our old way of doing things. Now i keep a long term plan at home pre filled in and a blank one at preschool, which i hand fill as we go along, which seems ridiculous to me but made early years happy.

I think I see what you mean cupcake, in previous years we would have had a theme / topic pre-planned and written into the end column. Something Ofsted now frown upon.

Now I do note calender events but that doesn't mean they will necessarily be followed. Imagine that the end column is blank, ( as part of it is) this is where I write the retrospective plans, ie what activities / play the children have initiated through their interests.

As an example in last years plans weeks 27 through to 34 we noted in the end column "action heroes" for a total of 8 wks) , this was how long the children were engrossed in this, their self chosen topic. We just guided the children to consider the planned learning / aspects within this topic.

Peggy

peggy,

do you do a medium term and short term plan from this.

also we are open all year round but from my understanding we don't need to plan FS activities/experiences during non term time. am i right?

I think you are right Dawn - I hear rumours from time to time that Ofsted would like to see the funded education session planning happening all year round...and grade you accordingly....but I've never seen anything written down.

peggy,

do you do a medium term and short term plan from this.

also we are open all year round but from my understanding we don't need to plan FS activities/experiences during non term time. am i right?

I do short term plans which are daily / weekly. These are written using two pages.

One page which has 3 columns.

1/ (FOUND ON THIS SITE AND ADAPTED) shows continuous provision with a column for additional resources ( ones that are not self select-but need to come out from the store cupboard) and planned activities, both of which are informed by childrens needs and interests from the previous day / week.

2/ column which is written retrospectively which shows child initiated activities, these also inform next day/week.

3/ Outside activities either planned or retrospective.

Then on the adjascent page ( in my folder) I have a form to write individual play plans, one or two children per day.

So, as you can see I have reduced my paperwork to just 2 sides of A4 paper for a weeks plans. :o

Peggy

PLANNING_SHEET_WEEKS_FOCUS.doc

INDIVIDUAL_PLAY_PLANS.doc

ooh, nearly forgot to mention. I think Ofsted can only require that you meet the Enjoying and Achieving of the 5 outcomes, rather than specifically to FSC during non term times, ie: outside of NEG funded sessions.

However, the FSC helps to meet this outcome and the future EYFS was written with this outcome in mind.

Does that make sense?

I would see non term times as 'Holiday Club' provision, meeting playwork type aims rather than too stringent on focussed activity planning to the FSC.

Be interested to hear what others think about your query.

Peggy

Thanks for sharing Peggy, it does seem a lot clearer written down.

As a group we are about to tackle observation/assessment/informing planning/child initiated, which in view of the new EYFS and my own studying for the FD I am trying to promote within a team of which I am a deputy supervisor. I would feel like I'm fighting a losing battle if it were not for the chairperson being very supportive.

I understand some of theory behind the good practice now but putting it into practice is quite a different matter especially if I am not clear myself and the rest of the team don't even like doing observations with any real purpose. I am hoping we can all work together to find a workable solution that meets the needs of the children. So thanks again.

I do short term plans which are daily / weekly. These are written using two pages.

1/ (FOUND ON THIS SITE AND ADAPTED) shows continuous provision with a column for additional resources ( ones that are not self select-but need to come out from the store cupboard) and planned activities, both of which are informed by childrens needs and interests from the previous day / week.

2/ column which is written retrospectively which shows child initiated activities, these also inform next day/week.

Then on the adjascent page ( in my folder) I have a form to write individual play plans, one or two children per day.

So, as you can see I have reduced my paperwork to just 2 sides of A4 paper for a weeks plans. :o

Peggy

Hi Peggy

Can i ask- probably a silly question!

You use this planning sheet for the week and only then change the resources once a week? I can see from the book corner you change that daily?

Do you have a seperate sheet to show 1.the aspect you are focusing on 2. What is being discussed in circle time?

Do you have a learning intention in all areas, if so how doyou show this?

Child initiated do you complete this column showing how the child changed the activity or what you have planned from doing childs obs?

sorry theres so many questions

sharon

Not silly questions and without seeing the context of any setting I can understand that it's difficult to see how it fits, so to speak.

The sheet is used for a whole week.

The children have access to all our resources every session, most all our resources are self select, from labelled draws, boxes, hangers, and bags, so all areas and aspects of the curriculum can be covered at any given time.

The important role is that of the adult to be aware of the intended learning focus for the week, how to differentiatte for individual children and to know when to let the child follow his/her own self directed learning or whether to inspire interest in the sessions planned learning focus. In other words we take the focus to the children, through adult interaction, rather than they having to come to us at a specific pre-planned time, at a specific pre-planned activity, to learn a pre planned intention. I hope that makes sense.

We do do individual focused plans, but again this is one or two children per day and we observe to see when best to instigate the activity rather than at 10am we will work with katie on a number game. We watch until maybe she is between self chosen activities. Or attract her attention after a group activity to encourage her to play a specific focused game before she gets embroiled in her own play choice. I dislike taking children away from what they have chosen to do, just to do something that I have chosen for them, I just feel that if we can teach them a specific knowledge, skill / attitude using the play resources they have chosen then this is more child orientated. Some things do take more planning / focus, full group activities or cooking for example.

At the end of register time I ask each child what are you going to play and if something is not out then they ask for it ie: today Connor asked for the large wooden small world play house, even though other small world resources were available, this is what he wanted to play with.

Qu. 1. Learning Area ( ie: KUW) and aspect is noted at the top of the sheet ( these are from our long term plan) and is covered in every 'play' area, ie: different contexts and differentiated. So in answer to your question there is a learning intention each session, which is promoted in every play area when the opportunity arrives. I am using the term area as 'play area'. If you mean curriculum area then all six are provided for through all our resources and play areas every day, ie: holistic curriculum.

Qu. 2. I note down what is done at circle time and mat/ register time, these are sometimes planned in advance or can come from the children ie: Tom wants to tell some news, ( child initiated) or plan to do a particular circle game to support the current aspect. Because of attendence patterns these activities can be repeated on more than one day. So there may only be 2 or 3 comments and not necessarily a new one for each day.

The child initiated column is when a child chooses a particular activity for a prolonged period of time or quite a few attend a particular area and play in a certain way or changes a planned activity. Really anything that is significantly initiated and holds the interest of a child or group of children.

This is noted. for example today the majority of the children played between the sand tray and home corner kitchen. The adult plan was to provide ballet / princess dressing up clothes in preparation for a new girl who started today, I knew her interests following a recent home visit. As it happened she spent most of the session playing with the sand, transporting it to and from the role play kitchen and sand tray. So this is what I noted in the child initiated column.

The adult planned column is completed through information from formal obs AND interests shown in the child initiated column. For example I had water planned for tomorrow but due to the new girls ( and other childrens) play today I shall keep the sand tray out and set it up with more cookers and resources to enable them to repeat, continue and with adult support extend the play from today.

It all seems so much when written down like this but in reality it is easy to manage and I think beneficial to the children in terms of learning.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Peggy

Peggy

oopppsss should of read your above respoonse really, which answers most my questions,

Thank you

Quick question,

I want to pinch your weekly planning sheet but we plan to use it daily, my question is re the focus area at the top of your sheet ~ how do you choose your focus?, and do you just have one a week?... if we were to use this format but daily would you reccomend that we just highlight the development areas down the side rather than specify one focus a day.

the second sheet you use, am i understanding it right?, you choose two children a day to observe at an activity?, once you have done that what do you do with the info from the sheet?. does this go in the children's files or does it stay in your planning folder, presumibly you use it for next steps?

am really eager to get pre-school planning sorted as ofsted inspection is looming yet again!

Thanks

Dawn

Peggy

oopppsss should of read your above respoonse really, which answers most my questions,

Thank you

Quick question,

I want to pinch your weekly planning sheet but we plan to use it daily, my question is re the focus area at the top of your sheet ~ how do you choose your focus?, and do you just have one a week?... if we were to use this format but daily would you reccomend that we just highlight the development areas down the side rather than specify one focus a day.

I do use the plan daily, entering childrens interests as they occur ( far right column), Adult initiated column, I note down resources we put out, or what is planned for circle time, planned story, planned songs etc. The Focus is actually one of the 6 areas of learning, taken from my long term plan ie: week 6 Aut term LTP focus area is MATHS and the Aspects are; 1 & 2 - (numbers as labels / counting and calculating). So under say 'water' we may plan to resource this with 5 little frogs to encourage counting/calculating one less. ( or this might be resourced with items that follow childrens interests but meet the focus/Aspect aims. ie: resource for a similar activity in he 'sand' with dinosaurs because that is what most of the children have been observed as playing with over the last few days). Not all the sections of the adult initiated column is filled in every day.

the second sheet you use, am i understanding it right?, you choose two children a day to observe at an activity?, once you have done that what do you do with the info from the sheet?. does this go in the children's files or does it stay in your planning folder, presumibly you use it for next steps?

The 2nd sheet is for childrens play plans, not for observations as such ( although the activities are evaluated). I have re-written these (see attached example - which I am using next week). The example shows that the plan is aimed for one child but others are named who would benefit from or have an interest in the type of activity.

Spontaneous Observations are written on sticky labels then placed in files, or we write directly into the files. The 2nd sheet is put in files once activity is completed. ( evaluation done on the back ).

am really eager to get pre-school planning sorted as ofsted inspection is looming yet again!

Thanks

Dawn

I hope the above helps, I would say that my last Ofsted inspection the inspectors said that we do a lot for child initiated play planning but should identify the expected learning from the activities. I personally feel that the 'continuous provision sheets I have displayed and the individual play plans should be enough for this. ( I didn't have these at my last Inspection in June 2006).

They also recommended that I didn't keep changing the planning format, to give it time to imbed with all the staff. They also said my assessments were insufficient ( they were not dated or kept up to date, even though my staff were paid extra time to do them, my fault for not monitoring them enough) So, my assessment files are now more easily managable, dated entries and a tick list of achievements at the front to show childs current state of progress. :o ( at a glance summary sheet -found on this forum)

Peggy

ADULT_LED_ACTIVITY_PLANS_BLANK.xls

• 3 weeks later...

Peggy

It is so nice to have such clear concise ideas on how to plan for the early years. I am doing my EYPS and planning is an area where I am weak. There is no planning training available in my area and the majority of people I speak to are confused and fed up with OFSTED giving negative comments about plans which are being actioned and then not receiving any firm solid advice on how to put it right.

You sound like the sort of person who would be ideal to give us all training!

Shelley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)