Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Healthy Eating Discussions

I have been manager in my nursery since May, and their last Ofsted was in 2005.

One of the actions after inspection was that the children are offered healthy meals and snacks, but staff discussion about healthy eating is limited.

Having come in as manager, this is still quite evidently an action.

Staff do try, but after less than a minute, they run out of things to say, and they are quite obviously bored at having to struggle for what to say each time the opportunity arises.

At first I was frustrated as they know this is an action, but I thought they were blatantly not bothering to do it. But as it turns out, they are finding it difficult to know what to talk about.

I mulled it over with my line manager, and we were trying to think of alternative ways to meet this action - without making it a tokenistic effort.

We came up with a couple of ideas, such as laminated prompt cards on the tables for staff; vocabulary placed around; or even having some small post boxes into which children could pop healthy foods, etc.

I am going to get the staff to work on this in a staff meeting in a few weeks, but would appreciate any creative and inspiring ideas, as I really want it to be something that staff get passionate about - rather than doing it for a couple of days, and then not bothering again.

I've made food lotto cards, also used to match the 'real' item ie variety of vegetables and fruits to the picture cards, thus using senses as well as photo's. This game enables lots of discussion.

Easy cooking / food preparation activities. Last term we spent a whole morning finding food pics, taking them to local shop to buy produce, preparing and cooking veg then all used the smoothy maker to turn it into soup. Every child ate the soup and asked for seconds. :o

I was given a fantastic jigsaw puzzle which shows the main food groups, I'll try and find out the supplier if you like. Its like the triangle picture on one of my attachments.

The british nutrition foundation have an excellent resource section for education. I've attached 2 example pics, they are good quality.

find it here

Hope these help.

Why not have a staff competition with a 'healthy' prize for the person who comes up with good activity idea or makes a good resource for this area?

Let us know how you get on.

Peggy

apple.pdf

broccoli.pdf

HEALTH___GROWTH.pdf

I made a game with laminated food pictures (but it could be real food wrappers and boxes etc from your cupboard) with too boxes, one marked 'good food' and a big smiley face and the other' bad food' with a grumpy face, the children had to guess which box to put the food into. The boxes had a letter box type hole in for posting as children do like posting!! :o

:o The children love doing a 'vegetable hunt'.........hide vegs around the setting, have coloured plates or bowls on another table & ask the children to find them and match up with the correct colour....discuss the vegs/fruits as they discover them and when the game has ended cut up the items and talk about the seeds etc.

do a good/not so good for you food collage...sad face on one side and happy face the other...

mrsb

I've also done a good / not so good poster using packaging or listing items from childrens lunch boxes. The children soon started to tell their parents what 'healthy' foods they wanted. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)