Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child-initiated Themes

I am really interested in the exciting child -initiated themes that many of you are using (ie not starting with a topic that is pre-planned). This way you can captialise on children's current interestss, and this is what EYFS is recommending and I was wondering - do any of you pull these child initiated themes into some kind of mtp? Or how do you document this in your stp?

Hi Kathy having looked at the new FS curriculum i agree alot of the ideas are based on child-initiated ideas - we already do this because we are a high/scope setting where we observe children during their 'work time' to plan for small group time activities. We have a small group time sheet which we complete for the activity for short term planning and then these are entered into our medium term planning sheets. it does mean that you have to do your planning on a weekly basis (rather than planning ahead for half term etc.) adult plans do not always reflect what the children are interested in and support their developing schemas. The children enter the small group time activity with a natural interest in the activity and are itherefore ntrinsically motivated to do the activity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)