Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Needed: Table Play -

Hi. Can you give me the benefit of your great wisdom?!

My husband has always been able to get me organic wheat for our table play. But, alas, now only ordinary non-organic wheat.

What's your understanding on the issues. Do you think non-organic wheat might be ok for table play (tipping, pouring, measuring etc).

Look forward to your replies.

Sorry LJW, maybe I'm being a bit dense but what was your reasoning for using organic wheat instead of non-organic wheat in the first place?

I would guess that allergy awareness may be an issue, and some people have issues about the use of 'food' for play whatever it's origins.

I personally use 'foods' for sensory opportunities from a variety of 'growth /manufactoring' sources.

Peggy

I have always been led to believe that organic wheat is recommended, I think from a PLA course a long time ago. It did have its disadvantages once when we put the grain table away for half term and came back to find the building covered in weevil-like creatures! It took a strong-stomach to clear that lot up I can tell you!

If there is no health & safety type reason for using non-organic wheat (i.e. sprayed with pesticides) then I can get it by the bucketload but I want to be sure first. Can't imagine how you find out about the allergy side of that tho.

is it alright for asthma suffers??

I only ask because my daughter is a severe asthma sufferer and it 'sounds' dusty so would be a problem.

Biccy, we have used wheat for years now and had no trouble at all, but I would need to judge each cohort on their own particular medical needs. Different asthmatics react to different allergens don't they? I had a severe asthmatic who loved the wheat and never had a problem. The only thing he reacted to was a glove puppet (5 little ducks and a mummy duck). Someone had given us these puppets and somehow there were traces of essential oils on them which he reacted to immediately.

Back to the wheat - I haven't noticed its particularly dusty either.

we were recently using sawdust, the sort which has all the dust removed and is used for animal bedding.We put all sorts of things in it: twigs, plastic insects and bugs;worms (plastic!!), sieves, scoops,and a couple of magnifying lenses,etc, all lovely

I have always been led to believe that organic wheat is recommended, I think from a PLA course a long time ago. It did have its disadvantages once when we put the grain table away for half term and came back to find the building covered in weevil-like creatures! It took a strong-stomach to clear that lot up I can tell you!

If there is no health & safety type reason for using non-organic wheat (i.e. sprayed with pesticides) then I can get it by the bucketload but I want to be sure first. Can't imagine how you find out about the allergy side of that tho.

My husband, a Master Chef says that there are no health & safety issues in using organic or non organic wheat.

From your previous experience with weevils, obviously there are specific storage issues to consider.

Peggy

Hmmm, I can laugh about it now but those weevil things were horrible! The lesson learnt was to throw it away at the end of the 1/2 term. Shouldn't be a problem as my hubby can bring more home from work anyway. He told me last night that I can have some that hasn't been sprayed 'post-harvest' which is apparently what happens so that is the ideal solution!! Problem solved. Thanks for your advice everyone, and the ideas too - I will definitely try the sawdust!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)