Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term And Medium Term Planning

Guest Dee

Hi all

Wow a few more days before it all starts again ! I am taking recepton for the first time and to be honest am feeling nervous. Mainly because there are no long term plans or medium term plans and I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas ? it all so overwhelming.

I'm hoping the experienced reception teachers out there have advice :o

Have you got a topic in mind or how are you going to work?

If you are working to a topic or even if you are not, the planning on Norfolk site could be a help to get you started as could the free resources on hamiltontrust.

There were quite alot of plans on here too although they may be a couple of years old now so you will need to search (within this forum area) and there are some planning formats in members section.

Have you got a topic in mind or how are you going to work?

If you are working to a topic or even if you are not, the planning on Norfolk site could be a help to get you started as could the free resources on hamiltontrust.

There were quite alot of plans on here too although they may be a couple of years old now so you will need to search (within this forum area) and there are some planning formats in members section.

Thanks Susan I will have a look on those sites. I have been given the topics for the year but no planning. This half term is 'settling in' and I have found on the net a great long term plan outlining the different aspects of each learning area into topics, so I have something to go on.

You mention planning formats in the members section, I have only been using the fsf for a few days now. Where abouts is the members section ?

thanks for helping out :o

Hi Dee,

The forum can be a confusing place to begin with but don't worry, you will soon start to find your way around! If you click on the button that says 'Resources' on the left hand side and then 'Resource Library' you will find some planning that has been donated by members.

You might like to have a read through Sue R's motivational planning article which can be found here. There is also a much older article written by Steve about planning which can be found here. Both of these can be found, with many other interesting articles, if you click on 'Articles' on the left hand side and then 'Members Articles'. There are quite a few pages and you can scroll through them all by clicking 'next'.

There are also planning parts to the forum itself, including dedicated YR/Y1 planning, nursery/playgroup planning and topic/theme planning in the mix and mingle part! There have been many members who have attached planning into their posts in these areas. If you type 'planning' into the search engine (found at the top of the page) then you will find lots to keep you occupied!

Hope this helps to get you started! :o

Hi Dee,

The forum can be a confusing place to begin with but don't worry, you will soon start to find your way around! If you click on the button that says 'Resources' on the left hand side and then 'Resource Library' you will find some planning that has been donated by members.

You might like to have a read through Sue R's motivational planning article which can be found here. There is also a much older article written by Steve about planning which can be found here. Both of these can be found, with many other interesting articles, if you click on 'Articles' on the left hand side and then 'Members Articles'. There are quite a few pages and you can scroll through them all by clicking 'next'.

There are also planning parts to the forum itself, including dedicated YR/Y1 planning, nursery/playgroup planning and topic/theme planning in the mix and mingle part! There have been many members who have attached planning into their posts in these areas. If you type 'planning' into the search engine (found at the top of the page) then you will find lots to keep you occupied!

Hope this helps to get you started! :o

Thanks a mill for the advice xD

I am about to have a good look through now. Do you know if there are any short term reception proformas/ templates. Changing from Nursery to Reception more stressful than I thought!

Thanks Marion :o

Thats the kind of things that I am looking for. Are you a reception teacher ?

With your weekly planning do you hand write the activities in or add them in on the computer? In the nursery last year we hand wrote everything. Also do you only do more detailed planning/lesson plans for literacy and numeracy? Sorry about all these questions. I am so use to planning as part of a team that going solo is worrying me a little.

I'm a reception teacher in a FSU so we have nursery and reception combined. I hand write all my planning now as we change things as we are going so they get crossed out and scribbled on quite a bit. Planning is a working document and only contains enough detail for me to understand. I do all the reception literacy and numeracy planning but we team plan everything else.

Guest whizzbang

Hi there,

Can I just ask, as am confused and new back to FS after 18 mths out, are people going to have a basic outline of long term and medium term plans and then go off with the children as and when interest arises or completely plan from childrens interest??

Also if the latter how will this be planned - in retrospect?, and are people using some sort of highlighting system to ensure all of the objectives are covered throughout the year, or have you already assigned objectives to each term? If you have any of these plans, could I please look???

I like the plans Marion, do you also have a already filled in copy to see what you write in the boxes (mainly the daily plan am interested in - do you tick the boxes. or fill in lots, by hand or officially type?)

The FS is great because it allows us to use our own initiative, creativity and values but confusing as unlike every other year group allows all the positive things mentioned!!!

I hope that makes sense, I have two TAs this year, one of whom is a very very strong character and i need to be very very secure at what i am doing in my own head before monday!

Thankyou!!!

Hi there Whizzbang

This is going to be my first year teaching reception and I know what you mean about getting things straight in your head. I have been left with no previous long, medium and short term planning so I am starting from scratch. The forum has been such amazing help. I have found some examples of planning and now can make a start.

What I am doing for the long term planning is setting per term for the whole year ELG that fit in with termly topics, making sure that I have covered all of the ELG in the early years profile. Then for medium term planning I am taking those ELG's (from the long term plans) from each term and dividing them into short term plans, dividing the ELG between the weeks of that half term. Wow that was a mouthful ! I hope than makes sense. My short term plans I am going to do in pencil (except for my phonic and focus activities) so that if there are any interests that come from the children then I change the planning as I go ,as need be.

I would love to hear how other people do it :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)