Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Solitary Play

I have a child coming into class in September who has emotional/behavioural problems. Nursery said one thing that worked was a quiet table for just one child to go to with an activity on. The child would choose to go to this table sometimes as a self-chosen 'time out/chill time'. I thought we'd give this a go, but am now wondering what sort or things I could put out - obviously it's not easy planning this cold, as we don't really know what makes her 'tick', but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas - or has used this strategy themselves.

Initial thoughts are - small world toys, natural objects like shells in a tray. I could do with a bank of ideas that we could dip into. The table we've set aside is approximately 60 cm square (so not terribly big!)

Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Harricroft

I think your idea of shells in a tray is good, only because it reminds me of a girl we had with a similar disposition and she would go to the 'shell' draw and choose this every morning as her 'arrival' activity. :o

I was starting to think of a range of activities / resources and thought that any thing offered in the class could be modified / reduced to table size. Then I thought why not get one of those canvas or clear plastic hanging pockets to hang near to the table. put a choice of resources in the pockets, maybe even a picture of what is inside the pocket, then she could choose for herself. You could then observe her favourites and plan from there, ie: if she often chooses jigsaws you could plan to offer more challenging ones as the term progresses.

items to consider:-

Jigsaws, small collection of craft materials with scissors and glue stick, buttons and thread, small tub of dough, cutters and roller, pack of cards, dice and home made board game suitable for her level ( ie throw dice place token on corresponding number part of board to make up a picture), magnifier and items to observe. Maybe some small balls / bean bags in one pocket to encourage/inspire her to move from the table and choose a friend to play catch with.

Might even use this idea myself now. xD

Good luck.

Peggy

ooh another idea, a small CD player with earphones with a story CD and book, these come in sizes small enough to fit in a pocket.

Peggy

Would nursery not be able to give you an idea of the child's interests?

Mark making, sorting/matching, small world....

Could you not have a conversation with parents about the child's particular interests at home - assuming they are aware of the strategy that nursery has previously carried out?

We have a little boy at nursery with problems and he loves playing on his own with the treasure baskets....or listening to CD's using the headphones.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)