Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sports Bottles..

Does anyone know of any negative effects that drinking juice or squash out of sport's bottles can have on teeth?

Can anyone point me to any useful literature?

Hi Shelley, must admit every time I see a child 'pull' the stopper up from a drinks bottle I do cringe. Anyway I did a google search typed in sports bottles and teeth and it came up with quite a few links, here is just one of them, about an adult using sports bottles during fitness activities but also includes a dentists comments.

google link

apparently it's better if you can insert a straw into the top. :o

Peggy

I'd just like to add that my daughters best friend (9) broke her front tooth (snapped completely in half) on a sports water bottle.Theres nothing the dentist can do until shes mid teens and her teeth and jaws are full formed and then crown it.

Mum had picked them up from football club and the girls were drinking from them in the back seat-usual using teeth to pull stopper-when mum had to brake sharply at a junction and the children lurched forward restrained in their belts and the tooth snapped.

An unexpected sharp movement did that so it could happen-walking jumping tripping being pushed etc

My children now had the ones with the flip up plastic straw for school/activities

and, unless they are cleaned thoroughly before re-use, the amount of gunk that collects under the tops.......even the ones with flip up sraws, is quite disgusting! we have some who bring them...........in spite of me telling parents we provide healthy options, ie water or milk.........and the bottles are often encrusted with stale food, and other unmentionables (especially with hay fever and/or colds...yukkkk)........so, i have been known to 'forget' to give the bottles out and give cups out instead.... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)