Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq4

Please can someone help. Im doing my NVQ4 at the minute and my assessor is coming to see me observe children on assessing their own risk and supprting children to protect themselves. I know what i wantsay but i dont want to go all around the houses. Well nervous about these unit and didnt want to start this one first. any help would be great im really panicking ive got two wrks just dont know where to start. Wish i never started the NVQ4 now

Edited by Guest

Hi there Nurserynurse,

Dont PANIC!! You sound really fed up which is not going help you to do this unit. Maybe you should have a break put your feet up and come back to it when your feeling bit more relaxed.

However thats not going to help you do it! Not quite sure of the requirments for NVQ but from what I have seen from NVQ3 students is that they often ask you to demonstrate things you do on an everyday basis, so it makes it quite diffiuclt to put down on paper what comes natural.

What where you going to write? I would think you could demonstate this best in an outdoor environment with large equimpent as it would give children the chance to asses and think about if they need help, climbing, balanace, lifting etc. This is their ability to be able to asses risk for themsleves theres not many children who will go ahead and dive off the top rung of the climbing frame if they didnt feel capable!

Your assesment of children could be like...asking them quesitions , where is it safe to land? Who can help you if feel stuck? What can you do if you need a block and cant lift it on your own. As a practioner you are highlighting safety issues so children are then able to think about these on their own, like dont wear dressing up clothes no climbing frame etc so then children can pass these on to each other.

I think we all support children to protect themsleves, so you could do it under headlines like food and drink, wearing the right clothing, using equimpment safely etc

Hope that helps you form your ideas a little.

Hi there Nurserynurse,

Dont PANIC!! You sound really fed up which is not going help you to do this unit. Maybe you should have a break put your feet up and come back to it when your feeling bit more relaxed.

However thats not going to help you do it! Not quite sure of the requirments for NVQ but from what I have seen from NVQ3 students is that they often ask you to demonstrate things you do on an everyday basis, so it makes it quite diffiuclt to put down on paper what comes natural.

What where you going to write? I would think you could demonstate this best in an outdoor environment with large equimpent as it would give children the chance to asses and think about if they need help, climbing, balanace, lifting etc. This is their ability to be able to asses risk for themsleves theres not many children who will go ahead and dive off the top rung of the climbing frame if they didnt feel capable!

Your assesment of children could be like...asking them quesitions , where is it safe to land? Who can help you if feel stuck? What can you do if you need a block and cant lift it on your own. As a practioner you are highlighting safety issues so children are then able to think about these on their own, like dont wear dressing up clothes no climbing frame etc so then children can pass these on to each other.

I think we all support children to protect themsleves, so you could do it under headlines like food and drink, wearing the right clothing, using equimpment safely etc

Hope that helps you form your ideas a little.

Akire thank u so much for ur advice. if i sit back and not do it i wont do it at all. which i must admit i have been doing recently. im going to take ur advice and do the outdoor talk at circle time i think. thank you for your ideas

:o

Also one way to overcome this is to talk to the children about why they don't run inside, why shoe laces need tying up, etc. I am sure you will cover this with ease once you get going. I am an NVQ assessor and I encourage my candidates to treat me as another staff member whilst I am assessing and just carry on as usual, we are not people to be scared of, please remember to be an NVQ assessor you must have worked within the childcare sector and as such been assessed yourself. Good luck and remember assessors are there to help not hinder.

Also one way to overcome this is to talk to the children about why they don't run inside, why shoe laces need tying up, etc. I am sure you will cover this with ease once you get going. I am an NVQ assessor and I encourage my candidates to treat me as another staff member whilst I am assessing and just carry on as usual, we are not people to be scared of, please remember to be an NVQ assessor you must have worked within the childcare sector and as such been assessed yourself. Good luck and remember assessors are there to help not hinder.

Ashington thank u so much for ur comment, i did think of running inside and y we shud keep our running for the garden only.

I know all what i teach them at circle time how we keep safe in nursery and y we get the adults to only open the gates, i just and loads of different discussions.didnt think that it would be enough and how much depth i need to go into. Im hoping it will be ok only till next tues then il find out. THANKS AGAIN

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)