Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keyworker Groups

Hi all, been allocating new children to their key person for September. At the moment we have a keyworker system in place but I don't feel it is being used to it's full potential :o What I would like to do is:

- Allocate a time for keyperson to do obs/development records/group time during the session.

I have sorted out the groups so that the children are in at the same time as the allocated keyperson....this took quite a while to do :(

I now need to find a suitable time for this to happen within the session.....we will be lucky enough to have 5 staff on each session (this includes me) so not much paperwork/office time for me again! But then everyone knows how that works xD

How do your settings work? Do you have this set time for staff ? What kind of things do they do?

I have searched on the forum & kind of found what I think I'm looking for but some of the posts were quite old. One post I read said they have names for their groups, which sounded quite nice......anyone else have names?

please help if you can, very much appreciated

mrsb

Thanks for this post, I am in the same position. Just allocated children to staff and now trying to wave a magic wand to ensure there is time for staff to record and observe. (Or shall I do it all again by taking it home!)

I will be interested to see how others do it, I want to arrange non-contact time but it always affects the run of a session?

Our keyworkers have a session a week to observe, keep records up to date and to work on a one to one basis with their key children. Obviously staff ratio's still have to be kept so i come out of the office and leave paper work.If staff do a small group work then ratio's are fine anyway. It takes a lot of organising but staff feel happy with this system.

We have names for all of our groups. I'm Brenda my children are Bears. Liz has Lions etc.

When the children arrive in the morning they sit on the carpet for register, weather chart, discussion etc. Then we break off into our groups and go to a different activity. i.e. Dough, home corner etc.

Each keyworker group spends 15 minutes in this area. It is up to the keyworker to know what they want to get from this activity. i.e. dough - manipulates materials, can change shape, use cutters etc. They take notes whlist playing with children or use mental notes for later.

Some sessions we can have up to nine children in our keyworker group others can be 2 or three. We have found this really works well. The keyworker gets to know their children better and the children get to spend time with others that they may not necessarily choose to spend time with.

After this 15 minutes is over the children are free to choose what they wish for the remainder of 'free play'. We are in one large room so it is possible for keyworkers to complete observations and still be in contact wit the children. :o

All staff are responsible for keeping their keychildrens profile upto date. xD

BrendaS

how old are the children you work with?

that sounds llike a great idea and would like to try it in the nursery i work in. however im not sure that it would work as the youngest we have in the room is 18months and they tend to wander between groups. At the moment i have a member of staff with an activity and the children choose what they would like to do. although if its only 15minutes i syuppose its not that long!

i look through the week ahead and see when i have an extra member of staff and organise 'file time' for them.

The children we work with are 2.5yrs to rising fives. They do tend to stay at the activity we want them to. It can take a bit more work to keep them on focus, but once you've set the older ones off on what you want them to do, you can spend time with the younger ones. After all the younger ones aren't on the profile until they are funded so observations aren't so intense. :o

Hi we are similar, we have coloured teams - 3 groups

We have register and freeplay and then afer tidying up keyworkers get into groups for some adult led time around 10mins, they then evaluate and write up the activity and put in the folder for the keyworkers that might not be there at the time to see

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)