Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pond In Nursery

Rock Chick

Hi, my first post!

I am the Nursery Teacher in a Primary School, a grateful parent has just donated a large black plastic cold water feed tank to Nursery ( She wanted to give us something to say thank you and I suggested large plastic pots for gardening, ) It's too big really to put soil in, but I had this idea it would make a great pond, with maybe some fish, It's about 1.3m long by 80cm wide and about 80cm deep. Obviously I would have a mesh cover over it, and the Nursery garden is fenced, so no children would be in there unsupervised. Apart from hand washing and good supervision when we are looking at the pond are there other health and safety issues I need to be aware of. The parent is going to donate normal plant pots too! Thanks Rock Chick

Hi, not really sure about health & safety apart from what you have already mentioned (hand washing )....can't see there would be anything else if it's fenced off so the children can only have supervised visits.

When my children were very small we had a little pond and they investigation etc that took place was brilliant....they loved it.....now my children are bigger we have a bigger pond and they are still very interested.

I would go for it.

mrsb

Hi Rock Chick and welcome to this wonderful forum. We have a pond at school,like you fenced off and with a padlocked gate. However no fish.It's used lots for plant and minibeast activities. The only other thing I can think of is maintenance. We've just had a parent working party to sort out the overgrowth. Think it's a great idea! luluj

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)