Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthday Party Role Play

SJW

Hi,

I am planning to set up a birthday party role play area for September to fit in with the I am special theme. Has anyone done this before and have some tips or ideas to share?

Thx SJ

I made birthday cards to go on the window sill and made a pretend birthday cake out one on those Ikea stackable boxes - making holes in the top for candles. I also bought some of the party table cloths and plates from woolworths etc. I also wrapped some empty boxes in birthday wrapping.

Elfy

Hi SJW,

I have just recently set up a birthday party in our role play area, it was a great success. I linked it into the childrens interests as i had 7 birthdays all within one week of each other. The children were also very much into Pirates, so the birthday party was themed on Pirates. We made birthday cards, and birthday party invitations all based on Pirates, we had streamers and birthday banners decorating all around the role play corner, we had a table set for a party with party hats, which we made too. Boxes were wrapped up in bright paper as presents, there was also a cd player with a choice of CDs for the children to chose, we had pretend food. The role play was set up like this for over 3 weeks, the children never got tired of it and it was lovely observing them acting out all the real parties that they had been too. The children during other play, for example when playing with the stickle bricks ended up making birthday cakes using the sticklebricks and brought them into the role play area. We also made a word display with words that were all associated with a birthday party.We just changed the role play area recently now into a school, preparing the children for their new schools.

Rosepetal :o

Hi, I've done this a few times. I bought a party theme bag and covered a table with half the plastic cover.. Put coloured cellophane in the botom of cups. I read the Oxford reading tree book with Kipper making a birthday cake. Put a variety of card greetings and pictures to cut out and make birthday cards in the writing area. . (This also encouraged some making your own.0

We practiced some simple party games. We made presents and put sticky plastic over them and had gift tags to write on.

We made part food from dough and baked it and we had a birthday cake. We also set up post box in the writing corner to post the birthday cards in and had a postman outfit out for delivering cards. It's very quick and easy to do and the children love it. I do suggest as adults you need to go in there and model ideas a little but following their lead as you get better quality play usually.

Also be aware that Jahovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays, some will be happy to just sit out birthday celebrations, but worth checking that you won't have anyone who will be offended by this role play joining in September.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)