Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Breakfast

Ok help guys! I've just been looking at the topic cycles for next term and I'm moving from the juniors back into my favourite reception and year 1. Granted when I was in Y3 and 4 I was still doing work at a nursery level because of my class but hey ho!

I'm needing some inspiration on stories/ideas etc based on the topic 'Breakfast'

Any good ones? I've got some already but anything would be great.

Don't Forget the Bacon

Magic Porridge Pot

Oliver's Milkshake

Beans on Toast

Ketchup on Your Cornflakes?

Bread

Thanks guys! Some interesting books there, some I knew about and some I didn't.

Any ideas for any other areas of the curriculum? I'm just at a bit of a blank, although do have some ideas including a porridge taste testing session with a variety of things added to it.

We're hoping to do something similar in September. One idea is to have cereal boxes and the toy toaster in the home corner so that the children can make "breakfast for each other. We're going to ask the parents to bring in empty cereal boxes, then to tie in with maths we'll give each child a brick which they put in their favourite cereal box; plenty of ideas for counting activities.

Anita

It's probably a little early on in the year for complex data handling, but they may be interested to find out each other's favourite breakfasts. You could do some sort of simple graph, tally charts with the information. We did some tallying about children's pets earlier this year and it has become an ongoing self-initiated activity children wander around with a clip board and pencil asking everyone they meet have you got any pets? and then record what they find out as they wish. The other day I asked 'do you want to know what type of pets' no... only how many! :o

You could also look at shape of containers, is what everyone has packaged in a cuboid, are they all the same, how are they different.

What about multi-cultural angles with what kinds of things people may have for breakfast from different cultures here and overseas.

AOB

It's probably a little early on in the year for complex data handling, but they may be interested to find out each other's favourite breakfasts. You could do some sort of simple graph, tally charts with the information. We did some tallying about children's pets earlier this year and it has become an ongoing self-initiated activity children wander around with a clip board and pencil asking everyone they meet have you got any pets? and then record what they find out as they wish. The other day I asked 'do you want to know what type of pets' no... only how many! :o

You could also look at shape of containers, is what everyone has packaged in a cuboid, are they all the same, how are they different.

What about multi-cultural angles with what kinds of things people may have for breakfast from different cultures here and overseas.

AOB

for little red hen, you could grow somw wheat in class, bake bread, look at windmills,and make one? look at helping each other or not as is the case. you could also expand and do the wole chicken-egg-chicken issue as well.

And if our parents are typical of everyone elses- cereal boxes should not be a problem!

How about design your own cereal box, i did something similar with milk cartons which turned out great the chidren drew, painted and stuck pictures onto old cartons they brought in from home.

By the way traditional breakfasts in Hong Kong are congee or Dim Sum.

SJ

Thanks guys! A few of those things are WAY above their level as many are functioning below 12 months but you have given me food for thought (pun not intended!) and I think I may have some more ideas after reading this. Thanks so much. You guys are fab!

Thanks guys! A few of those things are WAY above their level as many are functioning below 12 months but you have given me food for thought (pun not intended!) and I think I may have some more ideas after reading this. Thanks so much. You guys are fab!

Nichola

I teach a group similiar to you and at first I thought 'Oh god what a topic!' but there are allsorts you could do. Little Red Hen - Feeling seeds with their feet and hands is a lovely multi sensory activity. You could let them feel/taste/ smell the different textures of cereals. Ten fat sausages for numeracy. Visit - to a cafe and have breakfast foods. Routines before breakfast - washing, brushing teeth etc.

• 1 month later...

We get the children to come in their pj's, we dim the lights and they hang up their bags with their change of clothes in - we put some very quiet music on and we read them a bedtime story and the pretend to go to sleep - we then pretend to wake up and we do a cafe style breakfast with breads and cereals from around the world - its amazing just how many different type of bready type things you can get - we make flags to go with each one - e.g. there are waffles from USA, scotch pancakes from Scotland (??), Nan bread from India, croissants from France, pizza dough balls from Italy, soda bread from Ireland, black rye bread from Germany etc etc - if you look carefully you can notch up about 10 countries and I apologise if I got any of this wrong. I then link into physical aspects of why it is so important to eat breakfast (not that I do) we look at the spreads you can get and what they are made from i.e. jams, marmalades, lemon curds, marmite, cheese spreads etc its incredible how many jams there are - children might want to guess what the jam is. Could do some blind tasting. Cereals - well piles of them - most of them pretty unhealthy so a bit more difficult. After breakfast children then have to dress themselves and then we start the session but generates conversation on where things come from - could do something with porridge and the three bears - sizing lots of things gs. On the tables I put some pens and papers for drawing whilst they wait and a menu with a price list for CLL. Also served orange juice and milk - hard work but very wothwhile and the kids remember it for ages after and go around doing their own menu taking and role playing. You can also see who can dress themselves easily but this may not be a problem for you.

Nikki

Thanks for that Nikki, Not all of that is suitable for my lot due to levels of ability but it's given me a reminder on something I'd thought of at the start of the hols about breakfast in different countries and what I could do with them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)