Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help, Anyone Combine Managing Nursery And Out Of School Club

hi can anyone, my local preschool is investigating taking on the running of our local out of school club. It appears that we may need to share premises therefore some members feel it would be better to be responsible for the management of both. Has anyone done this? I would be grateful for any help or advice

:o

I'm responsible for managing the nursery and holiday schemes. As I've not been there long, I can't seem to get my head round the holiday scheme - so feel I neglect it a lot. Dreading this summer's as somehow I have to use nursery staff to run the play club - as well as keep the nursery functioning.

Guest Wolfie

Hi hedgehog and welcome! Yes, I've done that! Have you got any specific questions or advice needed? I would definitely go for it, there'll be less "niggles" between the two groups if you are managing both! :o

I co manage(I am lucky enough to job share) a pre-school along with breakfast and after school club.We have been running for a year on a school site in our own building.Personally i think it works well I know of settings that share the same building but are managed seperately this can cause problems as with different sets of priorities,equipment use etc.

Although running all the services has plenty of challenges we consider it is all one community and often involve breakfast/after school and pre-school in projects such as displays together!

Bookworm

I manage both pre-school/after school/holiday club with same staff and some supply cover for holiday club. Lots of rotas! we used to run seperatly with a toddler group too as we shared the school community room . We combined forces 5yrs ago as a workers co-op. best move we made it works well much better than having 3 commitees bickering about storage who hasnt washed up etc The groups like Bookworm compliment each other it is easier to choose shared resources too. Anything I can do to help ?

sue

I manage both too, we are open all year round and use the same rooms. Its easier doing both rather that seperate staff and managers as resources, equipment, cleaning and all the little niggly things that cause stress when sharing a site are consistent and everyone knows whats going on.

We have been running for about 7 yrs now and I really enjoy working with such an extended age range.

Guest Wolfie

A few years ago I knew of a playgorup and out of school club who shared a room and the two sets of staff fell out so badly that they couldn't agree who should replace the AA battery in the doorbell- neither group would back down so they just went without!!!

the niggles about running with two very separate teams are my main concern as I can imagine some of the disagreements already. The niggle about the doorbell would reflect true life very well. My main concern is in the actual process of taking the out of school club on board. the pre-school is a member of PSLA and they have concerns. At the moment the Out of school club appears overstaffed and undersubscribed so it could be a rocky few months. Thanks for all the offers of help, IF it goes ahead I think i wil need all the help I can get :oxD

The government initiative for extended schools is a major downfall for the private groups but we are fighting back at the moment, and hoping to retain the children that have been with us for a long time. Advertising is our downfall as so many people when they enquire about places say they didnt even know we were around! We just had to be creative with our staffing to accomodate for any fluctuations throughout the year. Aside from the management team, and trainees, we only take on part time staff and share out any extra hours as and when they come up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)