Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Ta's

I haven't stopped smiling since Thursday as my present TA is being moved out of my class in September and I am getting a new one who is absolutely lovely. She is calm and reflective and just what a foundation class needs. The only down side is that she knows nothing at all about Foundation Stage - I don't think this will be a problem as like I said she is just lovely. I have been thinking for a while of making a list of Foundation stuff (sort of about the ethos eg encourage children to dress/undress independently and solve problems independently etc) as I often have work experience and non FS students who I repeat all these things to. The trouble is when it is your job you sort of know what you're doing and so I could use some help with my list of things you think someone with no or little knowledge of FS should know. Any ideas would be gratefully received, I'm sure i've missed off some really obvious things.

Hi

I need to do something similar too. Having one TA in mornings and another for most of afternoon. I started a file and put in ELGs for each area. Put in a list of continuous provision areas and what adults could do/say to support learning there. Also a very short list of what TAs may routinely do, such as check children's book bags in morning, collect in sandwich shop money etc. File also has a whole-class observation sheet for when I am doing literacy/phonics work and I want TA to assess children or when I want them to join in and support particular children.

Think I may need an informal meeting with TAs to discuss their strengths, what they are looking forward to doing in Reception Class and what they are unsure about. Also TAs have no experience of observational assessment in Foundation Stage - so need to do something around this.

A biggie for me is how much physical and visual help is given to children before and during creative activities and I previously used a poem from some members on this site to make my point.

I too am interested in anything other members have found to be useful.

Thanks.

Guest Wolfie

There' nothing better than working alongside someone reole modelling good practice so I'm sre that she'll pick up a lot form you by just "being there"! In our authority, the Early Years unit run a course about once a term for practitioners new to the Foundation Stage which is always good - discussion of the principles behind it, planning activities, etc.etc - maybe your authority does something similar? Or maybe she'll be just in time to go on the EYFS training that we're all waiting impatiently for!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)