Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition And Child Initiated Play...

Hello

Does anyone out there successfully run CIP in Year 1? If so do you do it all year? part year, just a few weeks? We are trying to ease the transition from Rec (where it happens successfully every dayand know the benefits but need to hear some real life success stories from others to convince the year 1 colleagues it is not just some mad idea we have dreamed up!!

Thank you

:o

Our Y1 class has operated CIP all year. It was initially intended to be for half a term only (and the Y1 teacher was worried about that) but it worked so well she continued all year and plans working the same way next year.

We have been doing this for the past 2 years. We usually run a FS day for the first half of the Autumn term and for a few weeks further if necessary. Often by the end of the second autumn half term the children are more ready to start a 'proper year 1' timetable, especially in the mornings. Some children however are developmentally and emotionally insecure and not ready for the year 1 curriculum so what we have done in the past is put that group of year 1 children into Reception with the smaller September intake just for the afternoons. That way the year 1's that are ready become year 1's proper and the, usually SEN or younger Year 1's have the FS curriculum and more CIP until Xmas. After xmas REc is full so Y1 have to stay in y1. Works well and is differentiation and adapting the curriculum to the needs of our children. Ofsted liked it and commented favourably upon it in Jan.

I have just been involved in a research project in my county as to whether y1 classrooms should be run like FS - the unanimous decision from about 25 - 30 schools was YES. my class is mixed YR and Y1 so i was already running in that way anyway, but the pure Y1 practitioners commented on the immense changes in the children's independence, motivation, raising of standards especially in boys writing. in a couple of years they are going to try the same research with Year 2 classrooms. The Early Years Advisor in charge of the project felt that even if standards didn't rise and they just stayed the same as in a formal Y1 class then play based would still be better because the children were definitely happier and it was more developmentally appropriate.

Our Y1 story for this year is similar to Marion's - planned to work much more like FS for term 1 but so successful has continued all year - nice thing for us (as our standards are closely tracked) is that end of year levels are best ever.

Hi Han. I too operate CIP all year. We have a split Y1 based on academic/emotional/social (and numbers) maturity so play stiil a really important aspect for those who are not ready to transit to the Y1/Y2 class for those reasons. That class teacher has been working to develop a more play based approach in her class. luluj

Thanks for all the feedback, I'd be really interested to read your research Sunbeam (if it is for public viewing!) Here's hoping I can convince my Year 1 colleagues to go for it this year!

Han

We've all just submitted our summary sheets to the Early years advisor who has been running this research. I think that her main aim was for it to be put to headteachers in our county in order for them to support year 1 practitioners in moving into this way of teaching as many on the project said that was one of their main battles in trying to do this. It may well be put into a document that is available through the LA I'll keep you posted.

I have been a Reception teacher for the last 5 years. In September, I am going to teach a class of all of the Year ones and the younger half of the Year twos. I too plan to implement a child initiated curriculum. However, I am concerned about the progress that the Year twos will need to make in order to be successful in the SATs. Has anyone else had any experience of this situation?

xD sorry for being a bit dim here!!!!!! Is Child initiated play in reception class the same as 'free flow'?

Two reasons for me asking......1/ we are just starting to do free flow at nursery & were told that it is; going to be across the board into reception and possibly YR1

2/ How well do you think it works?? Wha are your positives or negatives (if you have any)

mrsb :o

I just found this article and love the final quote "In an ideal world, the learning environments for our youngest children as they move through the Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 should bear one warning sign: 'Beware, free range children!' for as such, they will become the captive lifelong learners we so desire."

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/c/res...sitionRtoY1.htm

post-4544-1184965581_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)