Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'new Class' Afternoon

Hi

I am soon to be a NQT and next week will be going into my new school to meet my new class. I only have 45 minutes with them and just wondered if anyone could suggest some fun activities. The class will be year 1 in Sept although have only been in school for a term as they are the summer born children, so more like Reception. I was thinking about starting with a short circle time - getting to know each other, then designing a picture to go next to their coat peg and finishing off with some singing and a story.

However, I would really appreciate any better ideas! Ideally, I do not want to rely on the schools resources as I do not know what they have.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi Goldilocks and welcome, if I have not welcomed you elsewhere!

Congratulations on your new job!

Your ideas all sound great but I would suggest could take you rather longer than your alloted 45 mins. Presumably these children all know one another already although a simple circle time for them to introduce themselves to you could be good. I think the idea of making their own peg labels sounds a really nice idea and you will get a good idea of their pencil skills! You could laminate them afterwards and punch holes to hang on the pegs.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)