Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Inductions

hi can anyone let me know how you do your nursery inductions please? after ours yesterday i felt that it could have gone better, for a number of reasons. i would love to hear different ways to doing them to see if we can improve.

Hi apple, could you clarify, do you mean staff or child inductions?

I have put a staff induction list in the resource section which may help.

Peggy

Hi apple - we have our induction days on Mon & Tues and are follwing a format which we introduced last year - the parents are invited to bring their chdn along between a particular time slot (manages the number that turn up at any given time) they meet their family group keyworker (we have 3 family groups in the nursery - chdn are P/T by the way). We fill in a basic info sheet - name / address /dob / preschool experience / medical info /siblings in school etc then arrange a time for a home visit in sept (the date of the home visit then links to the child's starting date in sept) This ionfo is all added to a special @welcome to Nuresry' certificate that the child/parent take away with the. We then have an activity trail around teh nursery for teh parents to take their child to (laminated A4 cards have pics of all the different areas/activities) the parents are then given a disposable camera - we model how to use it by taking a pic of the parent/child 1st - then ask the parent to photograph the child explroing teh different araes/activities. The parents are asked to return the camera to us before they leave & are then given an invite to come back (usually in a weeks time) to collect the pics! When they come back we have a book making session suing the pics (parent & chdn together) - sort of an inspire based session. After the session teh chdn then have a 'My First Visit To Nursery' book to take hoem with them & we suggest to parents that they use it throughout the hols to help preprae the chdn for when they start - you know the usual - here is your teacher - look at all teh activities you can do etc!

When we then go on teh home visit we ask the child to show us their book & we go through it with them. It worked well last year (although we had a few laminating hiccups which we hopefully have addressed this yeaar!! wait & see eh!!!) & the response we had when we asked the parents about doing the induction in this way this was very positive. Hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)