Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activties To Do With New Class

On Wednesday in school each of the classes are moving up to their new teacher. I teach in the Reception class and was wondering if anyone had any lovely ideas to do with a new class when meeting for the first time. I was also hoping some of you could give me an idea of your class rules and how many do you think is the right number to have.

Thanks

It's all about reassuring them that rec is the same as nursery but goes on longer really!

I tend to do self portraits that can be painted and put on display for the first day in September. I take photos too so that when they start they can look at them and remember the fun day they had! Lots of singing, counting games and CIP galore too. Baking if you feel brave, or just decorating biscuits so that they remember what a great day they had.

Class rules I leave till September, the hols are too long for them to remember them! We only have 3 and they are carpet rules, Sit quietly, don't touch anyone and I can't even remember the last one! The rest of the class is covered by the we are kind and take turns daily chats you have with children. I only needed a list of 4 or 5 class rules with my class one year, i had the class that time forgot! They needed use kind hands rules, speak nicely, take turns, walk indoors etc.

Together we devise class promises rather than class rules. I take a photographs, usually staged in the beginning, of children carrying out a promise and add a caption. Promises are what they should do rather than shouldn't. We put our hands up rather than we don't shout out.

Lasanta

I came here looking for advice on this exact thing and found it because of your replies.

Thanks to all that have replied in this thread. My new reception children are coming to spend some afternoons in school next week and during that time im going to do stories, peg labels and even a little cooking. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)