Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Display Timesaver Ideas

After spending what seems an age cutting out lettering and hanging up backing I wonder whether anyone has any pearls of wisdom about 'short cuts' when doing displays.

I spent what seemed like a large chunk of my PPA this afternoon looking for the capital G template for my Goldilocks display a collegue showed we a really quick way of making lettering and I thought I just had to share it!!!

If you go into word and type the letters that you want (onto Landscape is easier) highlight it and go into format and then font. Choose the font you want and then where it says 'effects' click on outline - all your letters sound now be just thin black lines waiting to be cut out! No more hours of looking for templates and tracing around them! xD:(:(

I'm sure the more computer literate among us probably already do this however as it took me a week to work out where the paper goes in the printer :o I am easily pleased!

!! Has anyone else got anything they do that really speeds things up?

Edited by Guest

yep, we actually buy the letters pre cut out!

so we can just store them in a folder and then pull out the letters you need and the colours you need also.

saves soo much time!!!!!

Hi Clarew,Going to try that one! Thanks. I reuse all letters from displays and keep them in envelopes in alphabtical order. Easy to access -b and p / n/u reversible. Saves lots of time. luluj

Edited by luluj

Thanks for that, great idea.

Trying to think of something to share with you. We use lengths of material which can be reused instead of backing paper. Material can also be rippled. Not much of an offering, sorry.

I use wallpaper as it is a lot more durable - some of my backgrounds have been there for ages - I then just staple over the top or use one of the many colours underneath which remain there. For instance I have on one board, a metallic silvery mauve, a brick red, an orange.. Unlike the rolls of paper for display boards, the wallpaper lasts for 2-3 displays ones although they received a bashing they do in fact look fairly new. I can roll up the wallpaper and put it away safely and its already cut exactly to can go up again.

Nikki

You can also print letters larger than 72 font, type a letter or word and highlight it, then click on font size put the cursor into the box and backspace the numbers and type in any number depending on the font you are using you can go up to about 600 for a single letter, then press enter. I often print one letter per A4 paper and laminate it.

I sometimes hole punch the sheets and join with treasury tags this makes a banner to hang across the room.

I hate cutting out letters for display also, so I often make a banner for a title to a display. I have a program called "Print Artist" where you can make banners of various sizes. You can select font, size, positioning and add special effects. There is also a bank of clip art pictures to add to your banner. You can add borders also. You simply print it out on sheets of A4 paper and stick together to make one long banner.

You can also do banners using Microsoft Publisher, although I haven't worked out how to make smaller ones - they always seem to be about 8 sheets of paper long.

I sometimes get the children to make the header - they copy it out in bubble writing (with guidance) and then fill in the letters with paint.

Thanks for those tips (mimi dident know my computor could do that either) I bought today from Tesco banqueting roll 1.18m x 5m bright pink and bright blue reduced from £4.00 to £2.50 a roll for special displays for the backing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)